Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC

• Please log in to reply

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am going to build a new rig for gaming.....

I have a couple of questions.....Should i go with a quad core or duo for now....
Should i get vista 64 instead of 32?
Heres the rig for now.....Some tips would help.....

1 x Antec - Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case ( $109.95 )
1 x Intel - Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 3.00GHz w/ 4MB Cache ( $299.95 )
1 x Asus - Striker Extreme w/ DualDDR2 800, SupremeFX 7.1 Audio, Dual GB Lan, 1394, Dual PCI-E x16 SLI ( $339.95 )
2 x OCZ - 2GB PC2-8500 Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 1GB) ( $439.90 )
1 x Western Digital - Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache ( $204.95 )
1 x Western Digital - 500GB Caviar RE2 RAID Edition 7200rpm SATA II w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache ( $159.95 )
1 x Asus - DRW-1814BLT 18x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW w/ Lightscribe, SATA, Black (Retail) ( $44.95 )
1 x Asus - DRW-1814BLT 18x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW w/ Lightscribe, SATA, Black (Retail) ( $44.95 )
1 x eVGA - e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB SuperClocked PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out ( $299.95 )
1 x ANTEC - TruePower Quattro 1000W Power Supply ( $229.95 )
1 x Assemble - Assemble Hardware + Load my O/S ( $70.00 )
1 x Microsoft - Windows Vista Ultimate x86 (32-bit) DVD, OEM, 1-Pack ( $214.95 )

Thanks for any help in advance.....

Advertisements

turn 5

turn 5

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi BR-CHINOOK

1)I would go with a Core 2 duo for now it will be enough for your system.
2)I would get the 64 bit version of Vista if you want the best of the best.

Any other questions? :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi BR-CHINOOK! Welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm interested in this build, it seems you're going to spend $$$ on high-quality top-drawer components, but then settle for a 320MB 8800GTS? If I were you, I'd be tempted to downscale a little on some of the other components and upgrade your graphics card. Where are you buying this from? Links would be nice.

Are you planning on overclocking at all?

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The vid card is a little weak i admit, but the option to upgrade a little later is there, spending 800 bucks on a vid card makes me wince.
I am not up to speed on the latest vid cards, your input on a card that is going to be a good choice for direct x 10 is appreciated.
I am not thinking of overclocking just yet.
Here is the site for my components.....

www.memoryexpress.com

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well do you plan to play Crysis? If so you will need a better card then the 8800GTS 320mb because they recommend at least an 8800GTS 640mb but if you are just building the computer now I would strongly suggest that you bite the bullet and get an 8800GTX. It will be more cost efficient and will save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

Also make sure that you get the 32bit Vista and not the 64bit because a lot of applications and drivers are just not ready for 64bit yet. When the day comes for 64bit it will be easy to upgrade.

Also is there any particular reasons why you need two DVD drives and two hard drives?

Edited by jackflash1991, 23 October 2007 - 05:47 PM.

turn 5

turn 5

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I think this would be a great choice if you are willing to fork over
an extra 50$.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127280

It would seem to me you trying to build a dream machine rather than a gaming rig.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you intend on upgrading to a better card later, then the 8800GTS (320MB) will do you just fine. I was just thinking it looked a little out of place with the rest of the components... :) Anyway, here's some thoughts on your build (in particular, price/performance ratio):

1) You could probably "downgrade" the motherboard to save $$$ and you wouldn't notice a performance difference, something like the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 looks similar, but much cheaper. Still an excellent board.

2) There's PC2-8500 RAM for much cheaper (half-the-price) that's still excellent quality (even OCZ). Is there specific timings or something you're looking for?

3) You possibly wouldn't notice the performance difference (very minimal) with the 10k Raptor, as opposed to a 7.2k drive. The new Seagate 7200.11 option is there, these are excellent drives and you can't go wrong.

4) Why do you need two DVD Burners? One should be sufficient unless you intend on burning many discs at once. The Pioneer DVR-212 Black is cheaper, an excellent drive.

5) And unless you need the extra "features" in Vista Ultimate, you should go for Vista Home Premium. Whether or not you choose 64-bit is entirely up to you and the peripherals you wish to connect, and programs you want to run. If you can, then yes - go for it.

Hope this helps :)

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
1 x Antec - Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case ( $109.95 )
1 x Intel - Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 3.00GHz w/ 4MB Cache ( $294.95 )
2 x OCZ - 2GB PC2-8500 Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 1GB) ( $439.90 )
1 x Western Digital - Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache ( $204.95 )
1 x ANTEC - TruePower Quattro 1000W Power Supply ( $229.95 )
1 x Assemble - Assemble Hardware + Load my O/S ( $70.00 )
1 x GIGABYTE - GA-P35-DS3L w/ DualDDR2 1066, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E x16 ( $109.95 )
1 x PIONEER - DVR-212D 18x18x10 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, SATA, Black (OEM - No Software) ( $39.95 )
1 x Microsoft - Windows Vista Home Premium x64 (64-bit) DVD, OEM , 1-Pack ( $129.95 )
1 x eVGA - e-GeForce 8800 GTS SuperClocked 640MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out ( $409.95 )

Look good now?????????????????????

turn 5

turn 5

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yes that looks better.
I think that video card will serve you much better in the long run.

The thing to remember when it comes to video cards"memory is not everything" .

Good luck. :)

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for all the help guys!!!!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I hope you see this post before you buy your rig, because quite a few adjustments need to be made.
That memory is extremely over priced, I could find you something for 1/2 of the price and you would never notice the difference.
Get the 800W version of your PSU, you'll never need 1KW, never (unless you plan on tri/quad SLI, not really even available yet).
Don't get the 64bit version of your operating system, your looking for nothing but hassles, get the 32bit version, without a doubt.
Don't get raptors, not worth the money you pay for them when a 750GB drive will have equal performance and nearly the same price but much more capacity.
I'd take a look at the quad core CPU's.
As for your graphics card, your going to be kicking yourself on the 29th if you don't wait.
Do you plan on overclocking?
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 October 2007 - 03:30 PM.

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Gasp.....eeeeepppp!!!!!!!!!

29 th?
why?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The 8800GT is coming out, it looks like prices will be reajusted with the GTS', but till it's launched no one will now for sure. I'd sit tight as you not risking anything waiting another 2 or 3 weeks, unless you need the computer now.
To be honest it's not worth buy a computer till mid november, as a far amount of hardware is about to be released.
You motherboard will be outdated, as 780i is going to be launched as well, x48 will also be released this year(or early next year), you'd probably want to look at the 780i boards.
Also, not sure if you ever plan on running SLI, but the P35 boards cannot run it.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 October 2007 - 03:13 PM.

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i ordered it today, but i think i can change it.....
i am ordering from

www.memoryexpress.com

help fr4om a fellow canuck would help, i was going to get a different mobo but changedit up.....if ya can build a great gaming rig from that site i would appreciate it.....price about the same would be great

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'd really wait if I were you.....and cancell that order.
If you don't want to I'd make the following adjustments.
For starters, two sets of these will be more then enough for your needs.
http://www.memoryexp...X14500(ME).aspx
That alone will save you 300$.
Your PSU is also out of stock, this one is better and cheaper anyways.
http://www.memoryexp...X18605(ME).aspx
Get this hard drive instead
http://www.memoryexp...X12629(ME).aspx
Get this OEM disk for vista
http://www.memoryexp...X16054(ME).aspx
With the money saved get the GTX for 100$ more.
http://www.memoryexp...X15026(ME).aspx
The changes I have made will make you computer much better and cheaper at the same time. :)
Again, do you plan on overclocking? Do you plan on ever doing SLI? If so you need to change your motherboard as well....
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 October 2007 - 03:25 PM.