Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Drive will not recognise blank disk

• Please log in to reply

valleyboy

valleyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Please help. After burning numerous discs with no issues my drive has suddenly decided not to notice when I install a blank DVD :) . I have reinstalled the driver but can not find a source to update the firmware so this is not done yet. The drive works fine when a disc containing data is inserted.

Please could you let me have some suggestions to resolve this. Cheers. Valleyboy

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried burning to a disk when there is a blank in the drive. My Compaq machine does nothing when i insert a blank cd or DVD in the drive simply because there is nothing to read on the disk. I can burn files to the drive just fine. This suits me just fine because i now do not have to choose to do anything in the small window that comes up.

SRX660

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Here's a little more detail:

I normally use either Sonic or PowerISO for burning discs, both usually display on screen that a disc is present/not present in the drive. In this case, neither program registers that there is a disc present. I have tried doing what you have suggested, the result is the drive fires up and sounds like its going into overdrive (the usual sound it makes while initially searching for media, then continues to do this for an infinite amount of time until I hit ctr alt+del to stop the program running. Meanwhile nothing has been burnt because the software hasn't actually started processing anything yet.

Hopefully this is a little clearer. As always, thanks for the support it's A1 :)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If possible i would remove the burning software in Add/remove program in control panel, and then reinstall the burning software. If that does not work it is probably that the drive burner head has failed and the drive will need replacing.

SRX660

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
It is DVD's I seem to have issues with, just burned a CD with no problems. Would this not rule out what you say in the previous post? I will reinstall software anyhow.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can still have a bad dvd burner writing laser. When you have a combo drive that burns cd's and dvd's there are 2 different lasers that burn the disks. That is why the dvd part does not work. This is not something that you can fix and it is cheaper to buy a new burner that trying to repair it( if you can even find anyone who can repair it).

SRX660

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I have resolved this. I guess it's easy to over complicate things, I was inserting a 'duff' disc. New disc worked fine, no problems. Thanks for the help.