Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP CD/DVD burner will not read disks

• Please log in to reply

wilzn2

wilzn2

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I am having trouble with my HP Media Center computer. It has two CD drives. The DVD-ROM drive works fine, reads disks, etc. The burner drive DVD SuperMulti Drive/CD Writer will not recognize disks --- at first it was just disks I had burned, now it is purchased CDs too. The only thing it will read is disks with only photos on them.

I am pretty confident that the drive is going out. I have tried all of the fixes suggested on the HP website --- I have updated the drivers, uninstalled the drive and let the computer find it again and reinstall, have updated the firmware, have tried to use PC Doctor. The PC Doctor will not help because it tries to do a diagnostic on the drive and asks for a CD to be inserted, which of course it does not recognize, and it continues to ask for one after I have already done so. I end up having to abort that section of testing for it to go on.

What does anyone think? I have a warranty through the store I purchased it from, but when I called several months ago, they refused to send a tech out to look at it until the drive would not work at all. Some warranty!

I do not need a fancy drive ----- the one installed on the computer is a Lightscribe HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSAH20L. I just need a drive that will burns CDs and will read them.

Can anyone:

1) Tell me if I am on the right track and if I should just replace the drive.
2) Give me some links to some websites where I can purchase a new drive --- please point out the exact ones that will be what I want
3) Tell me if installation is very difficult and perhaps give me some links to that, too.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi wilzn2! If I were you (and the computer is still under warranty), I would ring back and tell them it doesn't work at all. When they come and test it, the only disc you don't have nearby is one with photos on it... :)

Failing the warranty replacement (which I would get really upset about):

1) It's highly likely your drive has failed, these are a common failure component.
2) How much are you willing to spend? Something like this is good. (Beige or Black)
3) Installation is fairly easy if you are in any way technically-inclined. I think a simple Google search for a How-To should set you on your way. Here's one I found quickly, that looks pretty good.