Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Installing internal wireless on used laptop.

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My friend gave me a Compaq Presario 2500 laptop. It is a great computer but it has an external wireless card. I would like to install an internal wireless card and I was wondering what my options are. I am a pilot and hate the external card because it is just one more "part" that I have to make sure I have with me. I don't like constantly putting the card in just to remove it after shutdown. It makes using the laptop for a "quick" application a pain. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this something I must have a professional do or can I do it myself, like adding RAM? Thanks in advance.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge this isn't possible....laptops aren't "field servicable" like desktops...and adding parts like internal wireless cards....well that's just not doable

turn 5

turn 5

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
It depends if you have a spare PCI slot that meets the requirements of the card.
So yes you would be able to do it your self.

Ask at a place like Comp USA,Frys or Best Buy and they might be able to do it for you.