Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help now!

• Please log in to reply

vantheman

vantheman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I really need help!! Everytime I click on a desktop icon - I get a popup (actually 2 of them but not at the same time - I never know which one will popup). One popup says "HPIZ311. Please wait while Windows configures HPIZ311. Gathering required information." The other popup says "PaperPort 8.0 SE. Please wait while Windows configures PaperPort 8.0 SE. Gathering required information." The only way I can get rid of these is to keep clicking on cancel until the message goes away and then the program I wanted will go ahead and load. This has come about in the past three days and is very frustrating. I can see these entries in the Regedit but I'm afraid to just delete them as I don't know what would happen. I am using Windows XP SP2. Thanks for any help. Van

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
These 2 messages are from Hewlitt-Packard (HP) and Brother (Paper Port). I'm guessing that you had one sort of printer and switched to another? It is likely that the old software was not completely removed, or that the new software is goofy, or both.

Best plan is likely to be to completely un-install both, disconnect everything, reboot and start fresh from square one with the new printer.

Microsoft's Installer Cleanup Utility may help: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

Use Add/Remove to un-install, and then open the Installer Clean up. If anything that has been un-installed shows, click it once to highlight, and then press the "Remove" button. Do not use it on anything you want to remain functional! A re-installation of the application will be required.

vantheman

vantheman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks 1101doc. HP popup resolved. PaperPort is associated with Brother MFC - 440cn and has not reappeared - I guess is cured itself. In any event, I appreciate your reply and interest. It's nice to know there are people out there willing to help those of us who are limited in computer knowledge. Will keep you posted if anything else develops. Van

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Glad it worked out. :-)