Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best Way To Destroy Backup Tapes?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

My company is looking to dispose of several (OK, it's really a lot) old backup tapes. The boss said this when he tried to think of possible options....

Manual bulk erasers, but it is very labor intensive and the devices overheat relatively quickly and require cool down

· Manual destruction by various percussive instruments (read as hammer, compactor, etc.) which is also too labor intensive and potentially dangerous plus there is no guarantee that the data on the tape is not readable

· I have spoken with the company that formally did our token destruction but they cannot “chip” the tapes because of springs (I still don’t understand this but they won’t work with us)

· I have spoken with Shred-It our document destruction company but they only deal with paper

· Finally I received a quote from a company that will guarantee destruction of magnetic media and provide documentation of the destruction for a mere 15k. Needless to say once I lifted my chin off the floor and verified that this was not a typographical error I promptly questioned their sanity which I am still in doubt of.

Have any of you had any success with mass destruction of old tapes like this? If so, what was the method used. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
a fire? thermite? degaussers?

http://www.degausser...CFRGoGgodLlW9SQ

i've seen some pretty beefy shredders that can handle LTO tapes (and hard drives)

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Thanks for the information....I'll pass it along to my boss. I just had a look at the link you sent.

Thanks,

Magus

Tim Porter

Tim Porter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Are you still destroying tapes? My company might provide you a very secure alternative that could cost you nothing and might even generate some $'s for you.
Tim

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

a fire? thermite? degaussers?

http://www.degausser...CFRGoGgodLlW9SQ

i've seen some pretty beefy shredders that can handle LTO tapes (and hard drives)

That would take care of the security end of it.

Now you have to think of disposal so they don't wind up in a land fill.

I work with a company in Upstate NY that recycles ink cartridges, toner cartridges, and computer items. I have them set up with my Boy Scout Troop and we get the revenue from that. It is a fund raiser for the Troop.When the Imagine It Recycling company recycles a item, we get the money that the item brings. You might have something similar where you are.

123runner

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
or you could do it the ghetto way with one of these homemade emp guns

just make sure you do it outside at least a few hundred feet from any kind of electronic device and leave your cell phone in the car

http://www.freeinfos...iew.php?id=2280

Edited by mikeloeven, 28 April 2010 - 10:30 AM.