Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Oldish HP pc motherboard disk

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi, My Son in Law has asked me to try and put his system back on to this HP Pavilion 7925 PC, after he had to format it. It is an Oem version of Win xp. So we still have the legal serial number for winxp . But, I just cannot get the motherboard to read the HD. I was thinking it might be because the system came with the Motherboard it will have to be a HP Pavilion 7925 Motherboard cd. It will not boot up to a floppy either, nor will it allow me into the bios. Any ideas Guys, please.

Lucky

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Is the XP cd specific to that system or did it come with a different system?

Is the key code you are trying to use one that came with the OEM XP cd?

Murray

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi, the XP cd did not come with the system. None came with it at all. Yes the key code would be the one which came with the OEM onboard system. But I canot even get into the bios to try it out. It keeps saying no system found.

Lucky

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You will need either a retail version of XP or the proper HP cd for that system. Even then, you will have to use the "Phone Home" option to activate it after.

Have you searched the XP site for that system for the proper key to enter BIOS?

Murray

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Do you mean he will have to ring HP. I guess he will not mind that. But, I think that it will be like you said, having to use a propper HP cd to get it to boot.

Lucky

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
"Phone Home" means he will have to call Microsoft to activate the install.

Yep.. the other OEM won't work at all.. nor will any other OEM cd.

I assume the key code for the HP system is located on the computer itself?

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 23 October 2007 - 07:13 PM.

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yes, the serial number and anything else is displayed on the side of the case. Because it was so old, he was just going to use it as a spare pc for upstares. The specs are very bad and really all you could use it for would be for browsing or a bit of Data.
Cheers again.