Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High pitched sound on overclock - problem?

• Please log in to reply

cyberspacegenie

cyberspacegenie

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
A few months back I built a computer with the following spec:

Q6600
P5K-E
Antec P150 case (with 430w PSU)
EN8600GT Silent (passive cooling)
Transcend DRR2 800 RAM
Samsung HD501LJ Hard drive

The computer has been working fine. I had it overclocked to 3GHz until recently when I overclocked it further to 3.2GHz. (1.4v)

The memory is rated for 5-5-5-15 with 1.8v but I am currently running it at 4-4-4-12 with 1.95v. It has been running at this latency at both 3Ghz and 3.2GHz.

Since the overclock to 3.2Ghz the computer has begun to emit a low high pitched sound usually under load, but also sometimes on the movement of the mouse while highlighting something. The sound is low but high pitched, tinny and electronic - almost like the noise the sometimes comes out of monitors.

I've listened inside the case to try and locate the source of the noise but its pretty difficult to pinpoint. it seems to be either the video card or the MoBo.

Temps on the computer are pretty low now summer has gone. And the computer seems to be running ok (except for one issue, where Spy sweeper is suddenly taking 3.5 hours to run a scan that it used to do in 15mins - but not sure if this is related).

At 3Ghz the sound almost disappears but i have began to hear it a little at this speed too, although only slightly.

Anyone any ideas what the problem could be and if it is serious?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi cyberspacegenie! I'm not sure if it's the cause of your problem, but with all that overclocking, I would definitely be looking at upgrading your PSU. For a Quad-Core, 430w isn't very much. Can you double check and see if the sound is coming from there?

Does the sound come through your speakers at all, or only from the tower?

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Antec P150 case (with 430w PSU)

I agree with FPVDriF6 that PSU is too small for what you've got as it is (imho) and with the overclock you're probably balancing it on the edge. (and if that's the cheep one that come with your case then you CERTAINLY need a new one)

I would bet that the noise is the strain on your PSU the noise you're talking about that comes from monitors is caused by the tremendous amount of electricity that's inside.

Edited by pr0n, 24 October 2007 - 03:58 PM.