Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constantly Dropping Signals

• Please log in to reply

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Ok, I have a PC upstairs that connects to the network via WiFi with a Linksys wireless card. After my Linksys router went out, I got a Dlink.

After about an hour, the upstairs PC will drop the wireless signal and it takes a restart of the PC to reconnect. At best, I only receive a 60% signal strength and the PC is probably 30 feet away through 3 walls.

Why does it drop signals so frequently and what can I do to fix it?

I am A+ certified and know a lot about PCs, but I'm not so knowledgeable about wireless.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Not all wireless routers are made equal. Some have a wider signal range than others, usually reflected in the price. Those with a greater range will often have two or three antennas compared to the single one of a 'standard range' router. Your old Linksys router may have been a wide-range model whereas the new DLink one may only be standard range.

Also, if you buy a wide-range router you need to also get a wide-range wireless card to use with the remote PC otherwise you will get poor performance like you are currently experiencing.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Not all wireless routers are made equal. Some have a wider signal range than others, usually reflected in the price. Those with a greater range will often have two or three antennas compared to the single one of a 'standard range' router. Your old Linksys router may have been a wide-range model whereas the new DLink one may only be standard range.

Also, if you buy a wide-range router you need to also get a wide-range wireless card to use with the remote PC otherwise you will get poor performance like you are currently experiencing.

Would it really be that bad in a space of about 30 feet and 3 walls?

Oh well. We're just going to run an Ethernet cable around the house. I admit defeat.