Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Volume control lock to taskbar

• Please log in to reply

dans1

dans1

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Not a serious problem, but quite annoying as I often use headphones at my computer and need to change the system volume often.

So I want to keep the system volume icon locked to my taskbar and even though I checked "place volume icon in the taskbar" in control panel, it never shows up. That is, I turn on my comp, no icon in taskbar, go to control panel, see that it is in fact checked, uncheck it, hit apply, check the box, apply again, then it appears in the taskbar for as long as my computer is on. once I restart, it is gone but "place volume icon in the taskbar" is still checked in the control panel. Any ideas?

-Dan

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Make a shortcut and put it in your Quick launch.

Volume control icon going missing is very common and a known glitch in XP. Your shortcut will stay put and give you one click access to the volume controls.

Right click an open space of Desktop and select New>Shortcut.
Where it says "Type the location..." paste:

%SystemRoot%\system32\sndvol32.exe

Pressing Ctrl+S will make it a little smaller, too.

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok, thanks for the reply.