Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Computer

• Please log in to reply

RicTheNinja

RicTheNinja

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok ello

my old compter died a while ago...

i'm talk old as in when 30gig was a large amount for a PC.

anyway, as the HD was completely fried, a friend of ours put in a small 6gig(ish) drive for us. it starts up and it has word etc on it, and it s running faster the ever :)

but none of the drivers are installed so i cannot play music or anything like that.

would my best bet be to get new things for i (like new HD etc) and install them, or is there a way of getting the current sound cards working?

thanks!

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, your post doesn't mention if the sound card in intergrated in the motherboard, the harddrive size you wish to use in the end and what system you wish to run on it. there are programs like "everest" that give information on what sound card you have, and other missing drivers

http://www.oldversio...p?n=everesthome

honestly though, I would give windows a miss here since with 6gb it is a waste of a license whereas with linux you don't pay anything and have something more up to date for those limited specs. my laptop from which I am posting now is 6gb running kubuntu linux, I have everything and I have never seen malware on linux either, give it a try and you can always install windows back on the computer if you don't like it

http://www.geekstogo...ux-t168708.html

RicTheNinja

RicTheNinja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ahh cool ill try that everet home thing and tell you what it says.
And i was thinking of linux (as i have the other 2 major OS lol) so i might get a linux thing an install it.
Thanks