Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe problem

• Please log in to reply

RicTheNinja

RicTheNinja

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ello,

I've read through the pinned lsass.exe topic and the suggested solution doesnt really make sense to me.
I was hoping that somebody could explain how i can fix my laptop by reinstalling or other methods easily.
Also i am sure that it is Lsass.exe because my laptop is never connected to the internet and therefore has no mean of geting the Isass.exe virus thing.
ok so...

On my laptop (Compaq Presario 2500) the lsass.exe error comes up when I boot it. It goes to the login screen, shows the error (so i cannot login).
I have my windows XP SP1 disc so i will reinstall if that works and i won't loose any data.

I also have a

'Compaq QuickRestore System Recovery CD - Windows XP home SP1'

'Compaq QuickRestore Application Recovery CD - Windows XP Professional'

I do not know what they are, but they might come in handy.

Anyway, i don't have a NTFS Dos Pro as far as i know.
Please could someboy give me a clear step by step guide on how i can fix my PC without loosing my files etc.

Thank you.

P.S i followed instructions of one of the pinned threads on how to reinstall windows. I have done that and it is currently 'Installing Windows' with the lsass.exe window infront of it. Please help!!!

Advertisements

RicTheNinja

RicTheNinja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok that reinstalling thing really didnt help... now its completely messed up. Its stuck on its installing thing with the lsass window on
an it will just restart if i click ok

but the install isnt happening either.. its staying at 39mins left...

:'(
please help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Microsoft, in article no. 307545 offer a method for repairing damaged registry hives. Unfortunately this method should not be tried on XP OEM installations.

Dell do not offer a recovery that keeps your data in place. Instead, it brings your computer back to factory setting (practically reformatting). It might be a good idea at the present state of your computer.

To backup your data download and create a bootable disk of Puppy Linux. This tiny operating system takes only 60-80 MB and it works entirely from the ram, thereby bypassing windows. With this puppy you can get to your hard disk and save the necessary files to an External storage device or to another partition on the HD.

RicTheNinja

RicTheNinja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Err ok i might try the last one. but im not sure on a few things

how would i run the linux?

also what is OEM insallation?
thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To run Puppy Linux use this link. You have to create a bootable cd. Insert it into the cd drive and boot the computer. Linux will load up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and make your cd drive is the first priority boot device.

It will take you few minutes to learn this very simple tool. Locate your C drive, copy the folders you wish to save and paste them to another partition or to another storage device.

XP OEM is a windows xp operating system that was modified for/by the computer manufacturer specifically for it's own products. Dell Xp, for example, will not work on HP because they vary in some drivers or other things. The OEM versions include everything that is necessary to run the specific computer.

On the other hand, when you buy a "generic" computer you also buy a retail version of XP. This will work on any computer but you have to install specific drivers from another source. For example, you will need a driver for your sound or video card etc. These are usually supplied by the hardware manufacturers or can be downloaded from their internet sites.

Edited by The Skeptic, 24 October 2007 - 12:00 PM.

RicTheNinja

RicTheNinja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yah i do have an OEM disc as it says only to be used on crappy compaq CDs lol

ok so i create the boot linux disc, move files etc then just reinstall windows??

sounds simple xD
:)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If there are no unforeseen difficulties then it's that simple.