Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Connection only working on some workstations

• Please log in to reply

Tony2007

Tony2007

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Some background information:
I have a server running windows server 2003, approximately 10 workstations running xp pro connected through a switch, server is set up as DHCP. The server is assigning the ip addresses. I have the DNS on the workstations setup with the servers ip address. I have cable internet to a cable modem/router (set to bypass) connected to a router/vpn (dhcp turned off and vpn setup connected to another office) then connected to switch. The servers gateway is set to the ip address of the router/vpn.

The problem I am having:
Only on one workstation and on the server I can connect to the remote office through the vpn using remote desktop. I type the ip address of the remote connection and the remote screen pops up and I can get in. I need to find out why I can not connect remotely using other workstations. All the workstations are setup the same: Ip addresses set to obtain automatically, DNS server address set with servers ip address.

Additional information:
When I do a ipconfig /all on the workstation that connects remotely it says 'admin' in the 'Connection-specific DNS Suffic:'. The other workstations this item is blank. Also some of the workstations do not show the ip address of the router/vpn in the 'Default Gateway:' and can not connect to the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as to why the other workstations are not able to connect remotely
Tony

Advertisements