Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win 98se boot up problem

• Please log in to reply

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hello, thankyou for the replies, well i have the win 98se on the 8 gig that its always had on it and i in fact have it a master, not a master with a ata compat slave, and the 40 gig is hooked up as slave, and it does read the 40 gig after the format but what im wondering is, ok the format of the 40 is done,,i got the basic windows on it from the win98 cd, wich doesnt give you much, it gives you 2 colours and 16 colours,,do i have to update the 40 or what do you suggest, or was i not suppose to put windows 98 back on it, do i reformat it so its blank of a operating system or do i leave the basic install of win 98 on it,, also after you let me know can u tell me how i manage these drives,, i know the 8 gig is to get the main windows and stuff but when i save everything do u recomend the 40 so nothing happens to the 8? sory never used 2 drives before, the 8 is c: and the 40(slave) shows Y: now,,,

Advertisements

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hello, thankyou for your replies, i apologize if i may have followed anything in correctly, i never formatted anything and had 2 drives,, only seen it done lots,, well the info is i do have the 8 gig hooked up as master, and the 40 gig as slave,, the 8 gig boots the comp up and when i look in my computer, the 40 is read and its read as Y: ,,, the 40 is freshly formatted and has basic win 98 on it from the win98cd, means the 2 colours, and 16 colours, and not 1 update what so ever, the 8 gig has all the updates to my knowledge, now to use this 40 as a slave properly because im sure the 8 gig is only just for the main boot, and the 40 is for the space do i have to have the 40 all updated or do i have to have it blank,meaning no operating system on it just a fresh format again? or do i leave the operating system on the 40 that i formatted ,thankyou for your time

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok having the 8gig as master is what we want.
we will get rid off windows 98 of the 40gig is there information you need off the 40gig all though you have formatted the drive we may be able to get data back.
If you do not need anything then we will just delete the windows install.
Start internet explorer and go to the top of the screen and click on tols then click on windows update.
This will still update 98.
Do you run programs like Microsoft office?
Cheers
peterm

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hello, i did not save any info on the 40 gig nor did i put any new on,, so when you mean get rid of win 98 on the 40 gig u mean reformat it but dont put an operating system on it jus leave it blank and then still se it to slave will it boot up and show in my comp with out a operating system,

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
yes

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok i gotchya!!,lol, sorry about that, so do you recomend i wipe the win 98se off the 40 gig again and leave it blank,will it be read if it doesnt have an operating system on it,thankyou

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Yes you can remove it you do not have to reformat just go in and delete all the files.
You do not need an operating system on any other disk. I have one computer with 5 disk an the operating system on 1 disk only. Do you have any programs like Microsoft office ?
Did you run the update from inside internet explorer (see post 18)
When you save files just click save as and point to the 40gig drive.

to change your drive from Y try this
Try it this way but it doesn't always work.

Doubleclick the System icon in the Control Panel. Once the System Properties window appears, select the "Device Manager" tab. Find the device or drive that you want to change and highlight it. Click the "Properties" button to open the item's Properties settings. Select the "Settings" tab and under the "Reserved drive letters" heading, choose the same letter for the "Start drive letter" and "End drive letter" options. If the drive letter fields are disabled, you can usually enable them by checking the "Removable" option to change the drive letters. However, once you have changed your drive letter settings, be sure to uncheck the "Removable" box if it initially remained checked. Click OK twice and restart your computer to enable the changes.

Or try this Letter assigner
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 05 November 2007 - 05:25 PM.

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hello, thankyou again for the replies, , i have the 8gig as master and the 40 as slave,, the 40 does have the windows98 se installed on it from the cd thats it, so do you recomend me formatt the 40 again to clear win 98 all off of it and leave it blank?

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
___ IGNORE__ my last thing i wrote i didnt see that you wrote back i didnt think it sent,lol sorry,, and ok i will remove the operating system and try to change the drive, lastly, you said i do not need to format the drive again could you tell me how i go about deleting the operating system from the 40 gig , meaning the procedures and where to go to or do i do that in dos or, jus to make sure then i think , well after a long process of questions i think im good to roll again , many thanks to you for being patient in these questions,

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
one problem solved, one minor one left,well everything works fine, the 8 gig s master the 40 gig is slave, boots up lovely,,,one thing is, now my computer wont read my cd roms,,,description how it happened,, first of all when had the 8 as master and 40 as slave first,,oh,,10 boots everything including the cd roms were read and fine,,,,then my belkin wireless usb froze on me because signal was weak and from trying about for 5 mins to grab signal , it froze my comp,,so i restarted and it was going through the scandisk,then all of a sudden some odd screen popped up during boot up after scandisk and i didnt get to read it beafore it went away,computer then booted up, everything seemed fine,,,but thats when i discovered, my 2 cd roms arent being read, in bios, they show bein read,,i even tried a few times to default settings in bios,nuthing,,everything is hooked up fine in the pc box,,im not sure if theres a way that i can get the drive to read the cd roms, do you have any ideas,thankyou

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Lets try a quick and easy
Restart your computer and start tapping the F8 key. This should give you a black and white screen with options.
Choose the option to start in dos mode. When you have the dos prompt
type in scanreg /restore enter (note a space between scanreg and the /).
This should give you a list of the last 5 times the computer started correctly pick a date before you had the lock up.
A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.
Did you delete the windows install off the 40gig ?

Cheers
Peterm

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes the windows is clean off the 40 gig, hmm there seems to be a bit of a trouble,yesterday i unhooked all the drives and cards and cleaned them and made sure everything was snug,, now i started up my compter since i last typed to you yesterday waitinf or a reply after unhooking and making sure everything was plugged in fine,,now on startup, it does ascan right away of your ram and memory then says error resource conflict, pci in slot 3 bus 01 device 0a function 01

error resource conflict, pci in slot 3 bus 01 device 02

now it gives me 2 options F1 to setup or f2 resume and if i resume it will beep twice then start the windows and my windows boots up no problem, less the reading of the cd rom, but f8 will no longer take me to the options to safe mode or command prompt because it beeps twice and theres this screen sayin the errors,

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok update from a few min from my typing, i finally got to the f8 options and it shows, safe mode, command prompt only step by step, or logged, wich one do i chose,, note the beep twice at start up and error message still shows but i can get into the f8 list of options

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i got into the screen to show the dates but it doesnt go far enough back to where when the problem happened it is short about 3 days back,,

derekg

derekg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i got into the screen to show the dates but it doesnt go far enough back to where when the problem happened it is short about 3 days back,,plus, i tried a couple dates and a failure to do so :) i think i might be at a loss at this system,