Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet explorer encountered a problem?

• Please log in to reply

lsyts

lsyts

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm having a lot of trouble with internet explorer... I keep getting the message that it has encounterd a problem and needs to close.
I don't know which version it is and don't know where to go to find out....
I've look for spyware and Adware and used the CoolShredder and scanned with PCCillin which is updated daily. I've also used Cleanup and defrag. I don't know what else to try... I also uncheck the "disable the script debbuging in Internet Explorer" box. I still get the error message and internet Explorer shut down....
I also tried to use the Debbugging button and it shut down...
HELP!!! I'm at the end of my rope and no one around to ask... can some help me....
Thanks

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure if this will help or not: Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts

Ron

lsyts

lsyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks Ron...
I'll give it a try.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Please post back if it helped. Good luck.

Ron

lsyts

lsyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Ron,

I followed the instructions on the link that you sent me and so far it seems to have fixed the problem. I only go to the second step and checked a box that they mention in the link and it seemed to have fixed the problem. I've only had one occurence since I followed your instructions.

I think that I'll be OK now. I've created a shortcut on my desktop to the link so that if it happens again I can try to figure out what else to do.

Thanks for your help.
I really appreciated it.

lsyts

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're very welcome. Post back here if you have same problems and all the steps don't help. Thank you for using GTG.

Ron

lsyts

lsyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Ron,

Problem is back. I went back to the link you sent and went on to step three and reset IE like the I was suppose to and the problem is still there. I'm not sure what to do next? Is there any way I can uninstall version 7 and go back to IE 6?
And idea what to do next?

Thanks again.

lsyts

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't give up yet. There are so many things that can cause the problem. Just in case the actual error causing it is not being reported:

You receive an "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close (Mshtml.dll)" error message
You receive a "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close (Pdm.dll)" error message
IE Has Encountered A Problem And Needs To Close

Hate to give you so many links, but they are all related. Not sure if turning on error reporting would help or not. Possibly solution is a simple as re-registering some DLLs.

Ron

THis one gives more links to same problem cause:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

lsyts

lsyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks Ron....

I'll hang in there...

I'll try these links and see what I can come up with.

It's hard to get anything done when IE shuts down all the time. I have been reporting everytime.... still nothing from Microsoft

I'll let you know how it goes.

lsyts

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry I can't pinpoint any one specific cause for you. Good luck. If none of the new links solve the problem, I'll ask in the tech forum for additional help.

Ron