Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removal of Blue LED's In Front

• Please log in to reply

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I was wondering what the best way would be to come about removing these two blue LED's that came attached to the case. They were pretty cool when I first got it, but now they're really useless, and annoying.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7630.JPG

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Couple of small well-placed hammer hits? :)

Seriously though, without seeing it in person I really couldn't tell you. I would see if you can locate the wires that go to them and snip em and then put electrical tape on each of the ends to make sure nothing shorts afterwards. A flat-headed screw driver could probably pop em off too, though I don't know if it would cause any damage to the box or not. If you're not worried about cosmetics, but rather functionality of your computer, then any of the above methods would work, even the hammer. :)

Edited by Fenor, 24 October 2007 - 03:43 PM.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Couple of small well-placed hammer hits? :)

Seriously though, without seeing it in person I really couldn't tell you. I would see if you can locate the wires that go to them and snip em and then put electrical tape on each of the ends to make sure nothing shorts afterwards. A flat-headed screw driver could probably pop em off too, though I don't know if it would cause any damage to the box or not. If you're not worried about cosmetics, but rather functionality of your computer, then any of the above methods would work, even the hammer. :)

I'll pop the computer open now and take pictures, but I don't want to cut them off : /
I want them to still be useable for later if I want.

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
keep it simple.
cut the wire.
hide it.
done.
Note: make sure you cover the ends of any cut wire with electrical tape

if it where me (I've done this on a few cases) I hook all the LEDs I have in my case in a series circuit and just throw in a little switch, so if you're feeling like you miss your lil lights you can switch em on

If you still want to remove them completely I couldn't tell you how as I have no idea how they are connected or held in place.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Well, I just had to pop off the front of my case, which took about 10 min :|
I just popped them out of their holes, they were hot glued in place.
And I just placed them next to the HD, so now, theres no beaming lights coming out, but theres a faint blue lights coming through cracks when I open the front of my case (it has a swivel window)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It should plug in somewhere, so you should be able to trace the wires and unplug them.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

It should plug in somewhere, so you should be able to trace the wires and unplug them.

I did, and it ends up with a black and red wire going into this white, 8 socket thing, and then on the other end of that theres a bunch of other wires.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do like fenor suggested...snip the wires at the LED's then just to be safe...tape up the ends with electrical tape...no harm no foul....most imporantly no lights