Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

assistance setting up a network

• Please log in to reply

seventhsymbol

seventhsymbol

• Pip
  • 7 posts
As I stated in the topic description, I need to set up a LAN between two PC's, my own PC, which is only about a year old (Compaq presario SR2011WM, upgraded ram to 1GB and added a second HDD), and my brother's 7 to 8 year old E-machines T1115.

The main problem I've had is the fact that nearly every guide I can find online assumes both PC's have an ethernet port, my presario does, but the T1115 dosen't.

Is there another way to network them together? Preferably able to share files, and my PC's cable internet connection...

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can easily add an ethernet port to your brother's PC in the form of a card that fits into one of it's PCI slots. If it's a laptop you'll can still add an ethernet port in the form of a credit-card sized PCMCIA card provided that the laptop has such a slot (also referred to as a 'cardbus' slot), but they are more expensive than the PCI card type you fit in full-size PC.

Edited by pip22, 25 October 2007 - 12:51 AM.

Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
Personally myself I would not expect your brother computer to have the same things your newest computer has simply because over the last 7 to 8 years technology has changed...I don't believe you mentioned what operating system your brother computer has, Windows Me or Windows Xp, etc...Without being able to see the computer and guessing there's a chance it's a mid-zize tower due to the age of it would have me really wondering if any investments in it really would be in your best intrest.

However, what I did with my son computer (which has Windows Xp, 256 MB of Ram), I purchased a Wireless card, installed it and set it up to run wireless off of the wireless router I already have set up (which my Laptop runs off of it).
I would consider that option and this way you won't have to worry about cables, etc... If you get a chance, can you advise what Op/system it has and how much memory...Keep us posted...

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Master Green,

You can buy a PCI ethernet card for about $15 - I'd hardly call that a investment in the tower. Also, since the original user doesn't appear to have wireless now, you're asking them to make a bigger investment than purchasing an ethernet card.

Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I think my thoughts were more towards the age of the computer...Also, the Ethernet purchase may be cheaper but I focused on not adding more cables and instead opted for the wireless card...Basically it's an either or...When I made the statement about an "investment", again I was thinking some where down the road those extra pennies now may be a better choice...Again it was a prefrence and like everything else in the computer world when you are given the choices of what's avialable, the decision is by all means easier to make...I personally could of hooked up my son computer via Ethernet connection but since it's in a different room, the wireless card was worth the "investment" in my situation...Once upon a time his computer was in the same room and was connected via the Ethernet method which was the best choice then...Good luck to all...