Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Internet Explorer hangs, stalls and 100% CPU usage.

• Please log in to reply

sirvice

sirvice

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello,
A number of months ago, I had what seemed to be a similar issue with my computer where Internet Explorer would slow to a crawl, hang and/or stall and CPU usage would jump to 100%. After following your suggestions, I posted a HijackThis log and was walked through steps to improve performance. I noticed a slight improvement. Since then, the problem has resurfaced and compounded.
I use Windows XP, have run Avira AntiVirus, SuperAntiSpyware and Ad Aware (which will freeze in about the same place during complete scans, but will work normally for smart scan. Incidentally, I had this same problem with Ad Aware the last time I sought your assistance and I was referred to Lavasoft's message board where I posted my concern. I never received a response) and nothing seems to work.
Can you please help? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello sirvice,

Do you have any tool bars installed?

sirvice

sirvice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
As a matter of fact, I do. I have the Yahoo toolbar.
Please don't tell me I have to go without. I use it frequently. If not Yahoo, is there another more suitable? Or am I getting ahead of myself?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Sirvice,
Sirvice,

I usually recommend uninstalling toolbars since most people don't use them, and they are usually are bundled software. Since you use it though when did you last update it? I would recommend a full uninstall and then reinstall a updated version. For testing purposes however lets have it un installed for a while and see if it is causing a problem. Unfortunately yahoo is the one I had in mind so I probably hit the problem on the nail.

Edited by tuxmaster, 30 October 2007 - 10:47 PM.

sirvice

sirvice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just to confirm, you would like me to uninstall it and report back to you to await testing instructions, correct?

Edited by sirvice, 02 November 2007 - 06:00 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
sirvice,

Uninstall yahoo toolbar use your computer for a few days and see if you get the same problem. If you do report back if you don't you may install a newer version of yahoo toolbar and hope it does not cause the same issue and post back with the results. Uninstalling the program and seeing if you get the same problem with yahoo toolbar uninstalled is the test.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
download process explorer
open the program
look to see whats causing so much cpu usage
right click on it choose properties
choose threads tab
carefully study it and post the dll or file thats using cpu usage
perhaps it can be determine if its needed or not

http://filehippo.com...ocess_explorer/

IE7 has the option to have yahoo search if you have IE7
just use drop arrow and find more search engines
choose yahoo and choose it as default

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the interest of keeping confusion to a minimum, let's stick with one line of troubleshooting. Please finish with what you have started with tuxmaster.

Mr Freeze: It's considered a discourteous to step into a thread that is already being worked by another member...and...too many instructions and procedures can be confusing to all involved. It may even prove to be counterproductive. Please refrain from this practice in the future.

sirvice

sirvice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Gentlemen, I have NO interest in politics or stepping on toes. I am interested in ONE thing only, that which works. If that means ten people with ten opinions, great. Just give me a starting point and the direction and I'll do it. I don't know anything about this and if Mr.Freeze is offering a better or more thorough explanation, great. I would rather have been exposed to it than not at all if Tuxman's suggestion doesn't work. So, let me ask this...
Tuxman, now that Mr Freeze has given his suggestion, would you concur or would you still suggest uninstalling the toolbar? As I explained, I love my toolbar with search capabilities. I use it all the time. Must I get rid of it? Would you suggest I use Google's toolbar instead? I don't want to have to go without search capabilities in my toolbar. Is there no compromise to my quandary? Surely, not all search toolbars render IE impotent. Say it ain't so!
You guys are great! Thanks for all the help!

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
sirvice,

We are not saying that Mr Freeze instructions are invalid we are saying that some of us work in a methodical process. For me I do not drop a issue until it is fixed or until the user does not respond. I probably would have went to Mr Freeze troubleshooting steps if mine did not work. However I am though experience fairly certain that Yahoo toolbar is the culprit. I have had more luck with google toolbar then yahoo toolbar on stability. Honestly I don't like toolbars period. If it is just the search feature you like IE7 has search capabilities from the browser built in so does firefox and both are more secure then IE6. Wannabe was just trying to keep order in the forums. In short yes I would still suggest un installing yahoo toolbar because I am fairly certain it is the culprit and following Mr Freeze suggestion may not capture the true culprit. Again if you just want Search capabilites IE7( you can obtain this by just doing all your microsoft updates which you should do anyways) and Firefox both have search capabilities inside the browser no addons required. As a general rule addons always have a ability to cause instability.

Advertisements

sirvice

sirvice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, I uninstalled the Yahoo toolbar. And, as it turns out, I have IE 7 (never paid any attention to that search box before). I'll keep my eyes open and let you know what I find. It may take some time if I don't encounter an immediate problem. Thanks for the help and I'll be in touch.

sirvice

sirvice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, I uninstalled the Yahoo toolbar. And, as it turns out, I have IE 7 (never paid any attention to that search box before). I'll keep my eyes open and let you know what I find. It may take some time if I don't encounter an immediate problem. I'll be in touch.
You guys are the greatest in providing this information just for the sake of being of service. You have my thanks.

Edited by sirvice, 04 November 2007 - 01:54 PM.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
thats all i use for a seach bar and the three search providers i use are
yahoo...live search...google
any other search bar just takes up window space

hope that uninstalling yahoo toolbar solves your problem

sirvice

sirvice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, after what I thought was some success, it seems I'm back with the same problem. IE especially has this difficulty when more than two or three windows are open. I have to close IE and reopen it when it responds, and reboot the computer when it doesn't. Any suggestion?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).