Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restore Points

• Please log in to reply

Supadad

Supadad

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Can you delete certain restore points without the option to delete all but the latest? If so how do you do that??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
To make more disk space available, do one of the following:

Open Disk Cleanup. You can use Disk Cleanup to remove unneeded files. To open Disk Cleanup, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.

On Disk Cleanup, chose "More Options" and under System Restore at bottom click "Clean up..." button.

Ron

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Download Explorer XP, http://www.explorerxp.com/, it's free, and it's better than the built in 'Local disk'. Set it to show Hidden files. click Local disk, clickSystem Volumn information, click Restore, this will show all your restore points. You can deleat any you wish.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Why download a program when Windows provides all the functionality to remove all old restore points safely? There are just too many programs that can be downloaded that do have useful functions that Windows doesn't provide, but you never know whether they have malware along with them unless thoroughly scanned before install. If it's a function you need that Windows doesn't provide, then it may be worth the DL.

Ron

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
But he doesn't want to delete all the old points, just some of them, and this will let him do it. I've found Explorer XP to be easier to use and more useful than the built in 'version'.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
matofthemint....you can preform the EXACT same steps in windows explorer...you've just got to show hidden and system files...there's no need to download new software for this task

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
On my system, XP Media Edition, SP2, I can't open the System Volume Information file - Access Denied. I am asuming it is the same for Supadad.

Edited by matofthemint, 26 October 2007 - 03:08 PM.

Supadad

Supadad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I actually haven't tried anything yet, I was just asking on behalf of someone else that wanted to know if it was possible. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're very welcome. Now you can tell them that, "yes it is possible". Windows tools only removes the old restore points and nothing more when you use that option to clean. Thanks for using GTG.

Ron