Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp SP2 issue

• Please log in to reply

dvea

dvea

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I just recently reformatted my PC due to malware infections. The reformat went fine but when I went to update the PC with Service pack 2, the PC would not reboot. I just get a black screen. Even tried restarting in safe mode, but same black screen. I had to reformat again and now I am just running SP1. Any ideas? Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would slipstream SP2 onto your SP1 Windows XP CD. That way you can bypass the entire process of having to install SP2 once windows is installed, because SP2 will already be applied. Just keep in mind that not all Windows XP CD's are able to be slipstreamed with SP2.

The link for how to slipstream SP2 is HERE.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Duplicate post that can be deleted if a mod sees this, else don't worry about it. :)

Edited by Fenor, 25 October 2007 - 09:17 AM.

dvea

dvea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
This may be a dumb question, but if I am able to slipstream the cd, will I have to reinstall everyhting again? Do I lose everything on hard drive?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

This may be a dumb question, but if I am able to slipstream the cd, will I have to reinstall everyhting again? Do I lose everything on hard drive?

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who don't ask questions when they need to.

Now to your question, no you won't lose anything If you are able to create the slipstreamed SP2 Windows XP CD, then you will have to reinstall windows again using that CD so that you have a version of Windows XP with SP2 on it, because having a computer w/o SP2 is just asking for trouble.

All that you are doing is copying the contents of the CD onto your hard drive, applying the downloaded sp2 file (also saved on your hard drive) to those files to update them to SP2 and then burning the information back onto a CD.

Reading the directions on the link will make this become more clear.

dvea

dvea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Couldnt complete the slipstream process. I followed the directions you sent me. When i went to integrate the two folders I got this error message:

"Failed to copy some or all of the files necessary for integrated install.
Please check that:
A) No network or copy errors occurred during the integration process
B) the format of the destination directory is correct
the files to be integrated must reside in a i386 and/or ia64 or nec98 directory"

I still would like to add SP2 to my PC. Im just afraid if I downloasd and install again, my PC will be black screen when I reboot. Last time that happened I had to reformat again and start all over.
Unless you know of a way to get back to windows if I get the black screen without having to start all over again.