Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC tries to run CD

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi All

I have a few minor problems at the moment, but I will post them seperately!

When I turn on my PC it sometimes tries to open the cd rom in the drive (happens to be PC advisor cd !) even though I didnt ask it to.

This evening it opened up the CD and I duly clicked on Exit, and the cd closed, but the CD kept very noisily whirring, as if it was still trying to access it. I had to eject the disk.

Loaded up again and it did the same thing, but eventually stopped.

This might be connected with one of the other problems, so here it is:

This is a strange one. I hear a fairly loud whining or groaning noise from the PC and it seems to happen at regular intervals. One night I monitered it and it came EXACTLY every 10 minutes. Its not the Hard Drive as I installed a new one, and its still groaning! It appears to be either the CD or DVD, I would think maybe the CD.

The PC is a NEW Dell P4 2.8, 512 Ram etc.

I phoned Dell and the guy couldnt figure it out but said he had heard other people report the same thing!! I wonder is it the CD drive?

Thanks!

KC

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
We've had other Dell owners report the same problem. I'd also suspect the CD drive.