Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tech Career Outlook

• Please log in to reply

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I'm a network/systems administrator and I am contemplating switching to a different field as the outlook in my current position doesn't appear to be providing me with job or financial satisfaction.

What (in everyones professional opinion) are the most lucrative tech career fields to get involved in that balances job satisfaction (I know everyone is different but lets take the average of people who determine one field completely sucks while another is enjoyable) as financial growth?

What education/certifications/experience are needed for said career field?

Where is the best location for said career field?

Who hires people in said career field?

I will most likely go back to school and also study for certifications as well, so what coursework would be needed for said career field?

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello thenotch,

I work in the power generation field myself. I do notice that experienced technicians who install computer hardware/software(DCS) and maintain/troubleshoot said systems are in demand. They would have a strong background in networking and instrumentation and controls. Furthermore, they would have a solid understanding of combustion control systems, gas/steam turbines, environmental systems. A solid understanding of electronics is also desireable. Some of the popular distributed control systems include Allen-Bradley, Siemens, and Honeywell.

In a broader sense this person could work on control systems pertaining to any industrial process whether it be automotive plant assembly line system or an electronics assembly line control system. The idea job would be one focusing on the software/hardware side of the control system. The person would be responsible for installing hardware/software and building up screens for the HID. The modern systems located at my plant are fairly easy to work with setting up displays and graphics sets. They are window driven and most of the graphics nowadays are precanned and highly editable. The same person fine tunes the operating control system via the graphical interface. Many of the smaller companies who specialize in this field will train the right individuals and send them to appropriate schools to learn the particuliar systems that they specialize in.

This type of position would require quite a bit of regional travel. The outlook in my opinion is highly favorable for these careers. This is not a job for everyone and long work hours are not uncommon.

The satisfaction of troubleshooting and new system builds/startups can be very exciting and demanding. I have been involved with several large projects and can say that cool heads prevail. I being an operational engineer work with industrial technicians frequently and can say I have a very high respect for many I have worked with. I have helped manage several large projects on some very tight timelines and it is the experienced techs who were heavily relied on to ensure that timelines were met no matter what problems arose.

This may not be anything like what you are thinking I am just rambling from a field I deal with everyday. I think I am just trying to show a little more specialized applications of computer abilities mixed with some engineering/electrical background.

Link for a sense of applications

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 28 October 2007 - 02:16 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello thenotch,

You seam to enjoy web programing have you had a look in that field?