Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replaced mobo and processor, now windows won't start.

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I am trying to avoid doing a windows reinstall after replacing my mobo and processor.

I went into bios, configured the drives as raid... configured my raid drives... then I got to the point where I saw the boot menu... I thought I busted throught the maze... but nope... after selecting safe mode, it began loading the different windows files like it is supposed to except that it restarted...

Now I do not know what to do... I can not find my XP 64 disk... although I have a bunch of XP 32 disks... I doubt that they would help me at all.
I think I'm to the point where I have to do a repair install, but now I don't even know where to find the disk
I browsed through microsoft's site but couldn't find any useful downloads/advice, if anyone knows the link to an XP 64 dl please post.

Also, I will try to find the cd key as I believe finding it was posted in the "How-to repair Windows XP, How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade" in case I cannot find the XP 64 cd using the keyfinder page. I fear though that because the key finder is an exe I won't be able to find it until I find a way to get into windows... at which point the key finder's use to me would be negated.

If anyone knows of steps I can take to get my OS going again that'd be great.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to do a Windows repair from the original CD.
How have you obtained this version of Windows?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I think I'm to the point where I have to do a repair install,

yup...you cannot change a motherboard and expect windows to still boot....XP is HEAVILY tied to the board and any change that drastic will cause it to fail....you're going to have to find your XP disk, and the key that goes with it....IF you can find the key but not the disk...you can use another disk of the same version to do the repair

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Okay... this computer is a 2004... sometime around there is when I bought it so that is how I had the XP 64 disk.

Now I'm in the process of moving, so lots of stuff in boxes and I'm thinking the cd will turn up. Normally I have my disks and extras in one location so it should not be lost.

I suppose I will just have to wait then... wanted to do it sooner rather than later, but thanks for the advice.