Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access desktop, icons, taskbar or right-click

• Please log in to reply

BroomQueen

BroomQueen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Earlier today my comp was working find. Then I restarted for some reason, actually I think it's cuz there was a power surge the city was doin some work in the alley... anyways, ever since I had this message like runtime error nbwervh567321c4 so I fixed that somehow, don't even remember. Then I was getting some message about vcmgcd32.dll and I fixed that some how too. anyways, the main prob that still exists is that it doesn't seem like anything is wrong with the comp cuz I can cdtr-alt-del and access the entire computer or on the network through my moms comp it's just that I can't see the desktop icons, the right-click won't work, and there's no taskbar and for some reason earlier my msconfig and regedit was working now even they aren't working. I ran spybot search and destroy, hijack this, ad-aware, the free mcafee stinger thingy, and drive cleaner 2006. I cleaned up everything but I'm still having this problem, anyone know what might be the prob? I had this before but I forgot how to fix it. Thanks!

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I would recommend running HijackThis and posting your log in the malware removal forum. Your symptoms sound like they could be malware related.

BroomQueen

BroomQueen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Actually the only thing my hijack log is gonna show is my pop-up blocker and it was registry related (I knew from the begining it was I ran like 4 diff progs to get rid of "junk"). In any case I fixed it. I don't know/remember where I found this, all I know is I took a chance and added it to my registry, restarted and it worked. I'll post it here in txt for so someone else can try it. Just remember to change it from .txt to .reg after you paste it to notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoControlPanel"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoControlPanel"=dword:00000000