Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS virtual machine

• Please log in to reply

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I'm really annoyed, because I just switched from dialup to DSL, and right after I finished setting up the DSL, something called Micorsoft VM started installing. I do not even know what this is. Without asking me, it just installed. What the heck is this and why do I need it, or do I? There was also a huge VM update that came shortly after it installed.

I hate it when things install spontaneously without my control, and tell me nothing. Is there some reason I now need this thing just because I've switched from dialup to DSL? If not, then I want to get rid of it.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Remove Microsoft Java Virtual Machine and Install Sun Java™. Make a complete backup of your Registry should you decide to switch.

Java Upgrade Guide: Migrating From the Microsoft VM for Java to the Sun JRE

Microsoft Java Virtual Machine Support Published: September 12, 2003 | Updated: October 23, 2007:

Recognizing the need to provide a smooth transition for current users of the Microsoft® Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM), Sun Microsystems and Microsoft have agreed to extend Microsoft's license to use Sun's Java source code and compatibility test suites. This extension allows Microsoft to support the MSJVM until December 31, 2007, providing customers with the ability to transition from the MSJVM on a schedule and plan that is most effective for them.

Ron

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks Ron. I already have Java JRE, the latest version. I still don't understand why this thing sponstaneously installed. So, I can uninstall it then? What a pain in the neck for something I didn't need and was not able to prevent the installation of. Ridiculous! Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would make a Restore Point and uninstall the Micro$oft VM then see how everything runs with programs requiring Java.

Ron