Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDMI vs COMPONENT please help

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I am completely lost when it comes to this. I have a 37 LCD HD/HDMI tv. I also have an HD box from comcast and on the back of the box it has components and DVI/OUT not HDMI. Currently I am using components for my HD. Picture is good, HD is nice. I was told if I use HDMI cables it will be even better. BUT as I said before, i only have DVI/OUT on the back of comcast hd box. Can I get an HDMI/DVI convertable cable and that will do the same thing correct? Since HDMI and DVI are the same pretty much. Would you recommend I go to HDMI or stay with the components? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
If I am not mistaken the only benefit to HDMI is it carries your sound and video in one cable. If you want one cable only check back with Comcast about box with HDMI. I know Time Warner HD boxes all have HDMI on them. I do not notice any difference on my HD tv between HDMI and Component. The key is to use a high quality cable.

*Update HDMI and DVI both are full digital transmission. Only difference being that HDMI supports video and sound. Component video must be converted analog to digital.

Here is a good link with detailed spec differences.

Here is another link great source for cables

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 27 October 2007 - 09:33 AM.