Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick laptop battery question

• Please log in to reply

deefadog

deefadog

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi all, quick question, I bought a second hand laptop (which works great - Dell C540) The battery that came with it was dead to i bought a new one (under 9 months ago), worked great for a while, but it has also gone dead and will not charge.

Now, the laptop is always plugged into the mains as we hardly move it from our living room, i wonder if this is the casue of the battery going dead?

Many thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Yep, you guessed it. If you intend to use a laptop from the mains supply and hardly ever use the battery, you are supposed to remove the battery and store it away, otherwise it will become overcharged until eventually it just won't hold it's charge for more than a few minutes, if at all.

deefadog

deefadog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks for confirming that.

Is there a blank cover i can get for the battery, as i have taken the battery out but want to cover the hole as the little ones might stick there fingers in there.

Thanks

Edited by deefadog, 26 October 2007 - 03:41 AM.