Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM problem?!

• Please log in to reply

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi all,
my pc has 512 of RAM,2 pieces..i tried to make them 768,by using my friend's 256 RAM pc3200(400)..so i powered the pc on,and i faced some problems,like blue screen,some pauses...etc..and i found that the main board is compatible with 266 and 333 only!!
anyway,i returned eveything to normal..BUT!!everything has changed!like:blue screens keeps coming up!and some freezes..the pc restarted every hour!
some blue screens said something like"Phyiscal dumping..dumping successfully" ...
What i noticed is,when i remove a piece of these 512 the pc is ok,but when i do the 512,the problem comes up.
----------------------
Windows XP Pro.
Pentium 4 2.4
TI4200 VGA
Soltek mainboard.
i have Kaspersky v.6
----------------------

Advertisements

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
The best thing you can do to help decipher your problem is to try and take a picture of the blue screen or write down the stop codes that appear at the top of the blue screen and post them back here.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

It sounds like one of your two memory modules is faulty. The fact that when you remove one of them, everything is ok kinda gives it away! The only thing you may want to check is whether it is the actual ram module that's faultly or the socket. The chances are it will be the module but you can check easy enough - for example, if whenever you remove module #2 from the system, everything works fine, then leave module out but move module #1 into the socket that module #2 used to occupy. If the problems return, then the socket is faulty. If everything is still ok with the module #1 in the second socket, then the actual ram (#2) stick is faulty.

Don't forget to disconnect the mains power from the back of the PC, discharge your own static by touching a metal surface and then disconnect the main ATX (20 pin) connector from the motherboard BEFORE adding or removing the modules.

Edited by Samm, 26 October 2007 - 05:32 PM.

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi there

It sounds like one of your two memory modules is faulty. The fact that when you remove one of them, everything is ok kinda gives it away! The only thing you may want to check is whether it is the actual ram module that's faultly or the socket. The chances are it will be the module but you can check easy enough - for example, if whenever you remove module #2 from the system, everything works fine, then leave module out but move module #1 into the socket that module #2 used to occupy. If the problems return, then the socket is faulty. If everything is still ok with the module #1 in the second socket, then the actual ram (#2) stick is faulty.

Don't forget to disconnect the mains power from the back of the PC, discharge your own static by touching a metal surface and then disconnect the main ATX (20 pin) connector from the motherboard BEFORE adding or removing the modules.

Hi Samm,
well,ya i tried somethings:
i put piece no.1 into socket no.1 and everyhting was fine.
i put piece no.2 into socket no.1 and others were empty and everything was fine.
i put piece 1 on socket no.2 and everything was fine too.
i put piece 2 on socket no.2 and everything was fine.
when i put the two pieces into socket no.1 and no.2 the problem came,or socket no.2 and no.3
i enterd windows (when 512 was in) and after 1 min a blue screen shows up saying:
"bla bla bla prevent damage,
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Begining dump of physical memory.
physical memory dump complete.
stop:0x0000001A(0x00041284,0x000FC000,0X00000000,0XC05030000)
contact your administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

i did memory test of Microsoft on one of the memory ,and it was fine with no errors.
i did BIOS reset,it didnt solve the issue.

Thanx a lot.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I would have to say one of your RAM sticks is no good, make sure that you didn't accidentally switch one of your sticks with your friends stick.
Other than that the best advice I can give you is to take Samm's advice because she always gives excellent advice, and is a genius when it comes to hardware.

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I would have to say one of your RAM sticks is no good, make sure that you didn't accidentally switch one of your sticks with your friends stick.
Other than that the best advice I can give you is to take Samm's advice because she always gives excellent advice, and is a genius when it comes to hardware.

Hi,
mostly i did like what she told me to..and i did more additional things to make sure nothing go without testing.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I think probably the best thing to do is this:
Download memtest86 from link below:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Select the v3.3 download called 'pre-compiled memtest86 installable from Windows & DOS'.
You'll need a blank floppy disk as well. Once downloaded, extract the files & run the file called install.bat'. This will create a bootable floppy disk containing memtest.

Afterwards, power the system off & remove one of the sticks of ram (Leaving stick #1 in slot #1 for example). Insert the floppy disk & power on the system. If the system doesn't boot from the floppy then you'll need to change the boot order in the bios so that floppy disk is first in the list.
Once the system boot from the floppy, memtest will start automatically. Leave to run until it completes at least one full cycle of tests (this may take at least an hour with 256MB of ram).
See if any errors are found.
Repeat this test using only stick #2 in slot #2 (i.e with stick #1 removed).

Let me know how you get on. I'm going to be away from computer now for the rest of the weekend but I'll check back with you on Monday.

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,
i did it,no errors,no problem..i even tested the two sticks of ram on my friend's pc with no problem at all.
i reset the bios,optimal settings...:)
i formated the pc and while setup the pc restarted and pauses 3 times(when using the two sticks),but when i used 1 stick everything was allright.

Thanks in advance.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok. Have you tried running it with stick #1 in slot #1 (which on its own works, right?) but with stick #2 in slot #3?

Also, have you tried it using one of your two sticks plus the one you got off your mate?