Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down automatically

• Please log in to reply

Mogrfx1

Mogrfx1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer keeps shutting down and restarting about three times a day. No apparent reason. Once though, the screen froze while in screen saver.

This has just started. I don't download anything weird or out of the ordinary. Have AVG Free Edition antivirus installed.

Any thoughts

Windows XP HOme
2.8 GHz 80 Meg
.098 MB RAM

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Three main causes of restarting:

Overheated CPU

Faulty power supply

Bad RAM

I noticed that it said you only have 98mb of RAM, this is an odd amount, and not enough to run an updated installation of XP. You can download memtest86 to a floppy or CD and run it to test your memory. Just run it for a couple of hours and look at the errors entry.

Make sure your CPU fan is running and the cooler is clean and not loose. Also the power supply fan. The best way to test the power supply is to substitute a known good one of the same type and as good or better rating.

A fourth common cause is faulty motherboard, especially the capacitors on the board. Several little cylinders near the CPU, make sure none are bulging or leaking.