Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my internet is not working. tech support couldn't figure it out

• Please log in to reply

solarstar

solarstar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i received my modem in the mail last night from embarq. i just bought this computer used from someone so i dont know if it was ever hooked up to internet... i followed the instructions, all 4 lights... and nothing...
:)
tech support had me do a hundred things over a 2 hour period, finally they insisted i call HP.

well i'm not paying someone i cannot understand to tell me whats wrong. while they mumble "mmm how do you say..." hah.. no...

i know nothing about computers. from what i remember they had me go to start-run- enter cmd-- ping some various numbers--- enter ipconfig-- to which everything was "host cannot find server" or Windows IP Configuration

but no ip address...

if i go to network connections... it says incoming: none--------under local area it says connected... but internet explorer will do nothing except "IE cannot display this page" or something to that extent.

under sent received it said 20 received, 0 sent.

everything is hooked up, they tell me everything is right...

i called back for a second time and she told me i needed a new network adapter

a friend of mine said if LAN says connected but is not connecting to the internet its probably a setting not the ethernet card or the network adapter....

any idea's?

pllllleeeeeaaaaassssseeee if you have any idea, let me know!!!!! :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Cable or DSL (like Embarq 660 series modem and not a modem/router combo) modem? Have you followed the install instructions that should have been sent with modem? Did you have an install disk with the modem?

Normally, after an install for modem, it will work fine with default values, but you may have to connect first to your provider's page to "kick in" the service. I had that problem on my cable modem where the cable's page was the only one I could originally connect to with browser. After it recognized the modem and computer connected, I had no more problems.

The DSL modem should have an Interface you can access on your PC to allow you to set some parameters. If you right click on LAN Service in Networking and chose Properties, insure that it is enabled. If Repair option is not grayed out, try that.

maybe some of the info here will help: Embarq DSL. This covers a lot of information. If you have an Embarq 660 DHCP setup, this is a pdf for setup: Walkthrough Title

According to Embarq:

Question:

Where can I find User Guides or technical help installing EMBARQ™ High-Speed Internet service?

Answer:

Embarq provides a simple and easy to understand User Guide with illustrations for customers choosing to self-install.

Hope that's true. :)

I take it you have been notified of activation date?

How does the self-installation process work?

Answer:

Your free self-installation kit will arrive by courier within 3-5 business days of placing your order for Embarq HSI. Your self-installation kit will contain a modem, user guide, and any necessary filters (filters and splitters are explained in a following question). On the activation date given to you at the time of your order placement, your HSI service will be ready for use and you can perform the self-installation process, following the instructions included in your self-installation kit.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 26 October 2007 - 01:04 PM.

solarstar

solarstar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
its a 660 modem. it is enabled, it will not let me repair. keep in mind i was on the phone with embarq for 2 hours... we've tried all the basic stuff... they say there's no reason for it not to work everything is 100% on their end.

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Are you sure your net work card is good , look in the back most ports either light up or has a light on them most are green. Most ip address problems are net work card related since you said it’s not showing an ip address.
My self would completely uninstall that net work card try another first try this
After new card restart computer, then plug modem i.e. DSL line in restart your computer again check ip address.