Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAID Error...

• Please log in to reply

MellowToad

MellowToad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi folks. I recently bought a PNY PCI Express Sata II Raid Controller and installed it in my HP m8000n Media Center PC, which has a M2N68-LA (Narra) motherboard. I'm running Vista Home Premium and am attempting to setup my two 500GB SATA drives in a RAID 0 configuration (I've got a 1TB Click to Back Up external drive to back all this data up and also do backups through Mozy). I'm having a small problem.

I installed the card and attached the drives to the card. I set the jumpers on the card to internal drives only. I then proceeded to boot Vista, installed on the first NFTS formatted drive, which after a quick driver installation read the both drives no problem.

So, with everything backed up, I shut down the computer and pressed F4 to load up my BIOS for the RAID card at the BIOS screen. At this screen I'm only shown one 465GB drive. I enter the setup page and I'm given these different options such as low level format, set up RAID, Delete RAID Arrays, rebuild Array and Concatenation. I chose Set Up RAID 0 (striped) and I get an error message telling me "not enough free single discs to create raid setup".

Thinking this has to do with formatting, I loaded up Vista and deleted the partition info off of my 2nd drive--it was NFTS also. Now it has no formatting on it. So basically, I've got two hard drives now, that are being read by and usable under Windows, one with Windows, formatted with NTFS, and the other one with nothing. But my RAID Bios is telling me that its only reading one drive. I searched by motherboard BIOS and found that it's also only reading one drive, although I see that the RAID controller is listed under boot devices. I changed it to boot first, then loaded up my RAID Bios once more, only to have it still tell me that there are not enough single discs to create a RAID array.

This is driving me nuts. Do any of you have any idea as to how I might do this or what I need to do?

Thanks,

Josh

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Shouldn't be being seen in Windows as two drives, it should be seen as a one terabyte drive from any location you care to mention if its RAID 0 configuration. This means your RAID isn't set up properly somewhere.

According to the manual:
http://www2.pny.com/.....day R1_v1.pdf

You can toggle internal SATA or external SATA by jumpers. It just could be something as simple as that, you never know. Also rip all the partitions out so the drive is totally blank.
There is no reason why a RAID 0 array cannot be configured, unless you have a faulty drive or card.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Am I correct in thinking that you have Vista installed on one of the drives which are connected to the PNY Raid card? (As opposed to a third drive for example?)

If so, then you need to configure the RAID 0 setup, before you install anything on the drives. Striping destroys all data on both drives so the reason you are getting the 'not enough free single disks' error may be because one of them has data on.

MellowToad

MellowToad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neil Jones:
Thanks for the reply. I've got the jumpers set to the default setting in the manual, which is two internal drives.

Samm:
Thank you as well. Do both drives have to be completely empty for the RAID0 to set up? I figured that the setup process would just erase all data on it for me during the setup process. But that does make sense. Does the drive need to be formated in a specific format or completely unformatted/void?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Normally both drives would be completely blank (i.e not partitioned and therefore not formatted) prior to raid setup. (This is only for raid 0, if you were using raid 1 then you could have data on one of the drives).

I may be wrong, the reason for your problem could caused by something else but this seems the most likely. The only other explanation I can think of would be a problem with the metadata - you can resolve this by using the 'Resolve conflicts' option in the bios.

MellowToad

MellowToad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I'll give that a try when I get home, hopefully it'll fix it. If it does I'll post to let everyone know.