Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reinstall ME from XP

• Please log in to reply

panicked

panicked

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My husband's computer recently had major problems. In a panick to make sure I did not lose his work info (Quickbooks) I attempted to load it on another machine we have. That machine had ME on it which would not run QB. I had upgraded my husbands computer from ME to XP several years ago so I had the XP software, loaded it, loaded QB, checked my stuff and all was good. Now the problem is I was told that since I cannot register the XP on the other machine it will no longer work after 30 days. I was also told I could just reload the ME since that is what came with the other machine and I have the original CDs. I just don't know how to go about doing it. I don't care about anything on the other machine, my kids just use it for games. There is no internet connection. Hope this is an easy one for you and I haven't done any permanent damage.
Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm having a bit of trouble following all the twists and turns here, but if you just want to replace XP with ME on machine you will have to remove XP first. If you have a floppy disk and both machines use them, you can download DBAN, Darik's Boot and Nuke, you can Google for the download site, if the machines don't use floppies there is a version for burning to a CD as an image. It will write the drive to all zeros, removing everything. Then you can install with the ME disks. Microsoft no longer supports ME so you won't be able to fully update it. You may be able to get some critical updates.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
uninstall Windows XP and revert to a previous operating system

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303661