Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable boot volume

• Please log in to reply

inner08

inner08

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I was wondering if someone could guide me in terms of what may be wrong with my computer. I keep getting the blue screen with an error indicating: "Unmountable boot volume". I read several posts and they seemed to indicate that I should put in my installation disk and then go to the recovery console and try the commands "fixboot" or "fixmbr". Neither of them have worked for me so I don't know what to do.

Any ideas?

PS: If you need the specs for my computer..I can write it all..just didn't think it was needed.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
from the "Windows Reinstall" website.

Your computer will not boot returning the error "Unmountable boot Volume". This is usually caused by a corrupt "BOOT.INI" file.

SOLUTION 1

Access the recovery console. (This is the first repair option you get after you boot off the Windows XP CD (To see where this menu is Click here), unfortunately some OEM CD's (Or recovery CD's) do not have this option), but if you download the Windows XP boot disks you will be able to use the Console.

Download XP boot disks from here (May require 6 blank floppy disks)

Once you log into the recovery console type the following command "CHKDSK /F" or "CHKDSK /P".

Another option to try, which was sent in from "Maria in Atlanta", which she found that worked was to run the "FIXBOOT" command. To do this simply type "FIXBOOT". Using the "FIXBOOT" command without any parameters will write a new partition boot sector to the system partition you are logged on to

Now reboot the computer. You should be able to log into Windows.

SOLUTION 2

This option tends to be very successful.

Quite simply take the Hard Drive out of your computer, then go to a friends house, that is a friend who owns a Windows XP computer, and with permission open up his/hers computer, disconnect their CD-Rom drives, and plug your hard drive in with theirs, of course make sure the cable is seated correctly and that the power connector is plugged in.

Your friend computer will now boot up and run Chkdsk before it logs into Windows, let this run & complete.

Take your Hard Drive home and test. This method has a good success rate.

SOLUTION 3

Failing all of the other solutions, then run a windows XP repair.

Windows XP Repair Guide
http://www.windowsre...dexfullpage.htm

SOLUTION 4 - "Autochk.exe cannot be Found"

If you get an error in relation to a missing "autochk.exe" file when running chkdsk, then do the following at command prompt:

Type:

CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Now try the "CHKDSK /F" or "CHKDSK /P" command again.

SOLUTION 5 - Microsoft Articles

"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP - http://support.micro...kb;en-us;297185

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.micro...kb;en-us;555302

SRX660