Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing

• Please log in to reply

collrest

collrest

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hi Geek to Go!.

I have a new problem and it is bugging me very much lately. Ever since I upgraded to Vista Ultimate and play a game like Counter-Strike:Source, it freezes when I start to play. When it freezes, it makes the sound loop and then stop, after that my monitor shut off and I need to restart my computer. My Graphic Card is ATI Radeon 9550 /X1050 Series. Please help when you can. :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Vista has a real problem with drivers still. This is the reason HD gamers are avoiding Vista for their game machines. Un til new drivers are made you will have to try using the latest drivers you can find to see if they will help playing the game. If you do not want to wait i would think about a dual boot setup where you could run windows XP to play the games.

SRX660

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Okay thxs :). I notice that when i cancel Catalyst from startip, it does not freeze as much as before, i can play for 1 hour and then it freezes :) Thxs for the help

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi collrest. Do you have any idea what your video card temperatures are? It's possible that the card is running too hot.

Also, I have the Radeon 9550 myself, it's a very old card. I'm surprised you can run the game at all...

And lastly, what power supply are you using in your system?