Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

copying xp to secondary drive/installing as boot problems

• Please log in to reply

gypsy66

gypsy66

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently added a secondary drive to my pc. I had it installed as the boot drive because the original "c" drive was partioned to 13gb. Most of the programs seem to be working ok, except I keep getting a message saying "DLL C:\windows\system32\initpki.dll is not a valid Windows image." I also get the same message for "msnsspc.dll."
I also can not access "user accounts." The icon is missing in classic view. In the other view it shows up but nothing happens when I click on it. I should probably mention that this xp was pre-installed so there is no disc that came with it. The original "c" is now my "H" drive.

1.Are these issues related?
2.what can I do about it?
3.Can I use these files on the "h" drive or the start-up disc of another version of xp that i own to repair this one?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Where is the operating system installed? Is it on the small or the bigger drive, or on both. How did you move it from the old to the new?

What you should do is to clone the old disk to the new one. Use the link in my list of programs below to download DriveImage XML. Use the option "Copy direct from drive to drive" to clone the old disk to the new one. Install the new one as master on ide0 and the second as slave, and bootup.

gypsy66

gypsy66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The operating system is installed on both. I cloned it using the installation disk that came with the new drive.
Should I try DriveImageXML anyway?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you aim to make the large disk your system disk, and you wish all the material (programs etc) on the old disk to be transfered to the new disk, then xp installation is not the answer. What you should do is clone the old disk to the new one and then set the new one as master, connected to the end connector of the flat cable.