Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

sickcpu

sickcpu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After installing AVG anit-spyware. I attempted to start my computer in safe-mode, but when I selected safe mode the screen went black with a bunch of codes on it. Now when I press F12 it only gives a code....it starts Intel UNDI PXE-2.0 (build 082) Copywright 1997 (think) that's all I could copy before it went off. Also, my sounds stutters and sometimes the computer shuts itself down. Please help!

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Hi Sickcpu,

Why did you want to start in safe mode?

Windows safe mode is the F8 key.

Help us understand a little more about your situation. What kind of computer you have, the OS, and any other information please.

PsychPosse

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I would recommend posting a HijackThis log in the Malware Removal forum. Your Safe Mode keys may be damaged due to malware.

sickcpu

sickcpu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was trying to complete one of the steps that is recommended before posting a HiJackThis post. I tried F8 at first and wasn't working, but I have gotten it since then. I have tried running a scan, but my computer is very slow and sometimes it shuts off by itself. I have a Compaq Presario V2000 with Windows XP. My sound seems to "stutter". I don't know what's causing the stutter because it came suddenly.