Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installed memory ram (i think)

• Please log in to reply

grahame10

grahame10

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello all

I've got two 256 moduls of memory installed just ordered another 512mb, Is there any way to tell if ones got less memory than the other, :)

Thanks Grahame

I know i'm think but can't help it, :)

Ps Is there a link for emotions ext

Edited by grahame10, 26 October 2007 - 09:16 PM.

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Hi grahame10,

RAM memory is volatile.
That means, everything stored in RAM (Random Access Memory) is gone when you shut your computer down. Everytime you start your computer up, the RAM starts filling up with the programs that you run.

To understand how RAM works, imagine your going to do a project on your kitchen table. All of the materials you need for the project are in your closet. If you keep going to the closet to get what you need, when you need it, this is going to be time consuming for you. On the other hand, if you get everything out of the closet and put it on the table, close to where your going to do your work, then it will be much more efficient. Your computer works the same way. It gets the program information from your hard drive and puts it in RAM, so it can work with it more efficiently. If it has to work with a program from the hard drive, then it is going to be slow.
When your RAM memory is full, it just means that you have so many things running at the same time. Your computer then has to work with "virtual memory", which is a temporary RAM space it creates on your hard drive.
When you shut your computer down, RAM is cleaned out, empty.
So you see, neither of your 256 modules have "less" memory. They both have 256MB available.

If you have extra slots, just add the 512MB. (assuming it is compatible)
If you have to remove a 256, it does not matter which one you remove.

I am not sure what you mean by emotions ext.

PsychPosse

Edited by PsychPosse, 26 October 2007 - 10:11 PM.

grahame10

grahame10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi PsychPosse
Sorry to have not got back to you sooner computer broke down, Thanks for the info got the new memory all ready to install, The psu went on my computer had to borrow my daughters lap top.

Thanks again will let you know how I got on with installing the memory.

Grahame :)