Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatted XP - 3 Yellow ?'s in Device Mgr - No Sound

• Please log in to reply

Puntosaurus

Puntosaurus

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello again!

I posted a serious problem with my laptop a short while ago which remained unresolved despite everyones best efforts which I was very grateful for! The thread is here.

Since then, I bit the bullet and reformatted and reinstalled XP. The thing is, my drivers were installed on the partition which I wiped. The laptop only comes with a recovery CD wich installs the OS only. So, I grabbed all the drivers listed on the manufacturers website & began to reinstall them.

Having reinstalled all the drivers I thought I needed, when I go to Device Manager > I see 3 yellow '?'s, each next to 1). Multimedia Audio Controller, 2). PCI Modem, 3). SM Bus Controller.

I also appear not to have any sound, except that very annoying "BEEP!"
I have a Gateway MX6440, AMD Turion64. Having visited Gateways support website & installed what I thought was the correct audio driver, during installation I get a 'FAILED' caption crop up.

Is anybody able to tell me what these yellow question marks are, whether I need the drivers & where I can get them please???!

Many thanks once again for any assistance!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Laptop drivers must be obtained from the laptop manufacturer as you have already done, since the components are custom made and only Gateway has the correct drivers for them. I don't know of any other source. The yellow question marks indicate a missing driver so I can only suggest you try the Gateway website further.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
On this page is the conexant modem drivers, and the audio drivers version 6.14.10.575. There also is the AMD chipset drivers D00148-001-001.exe. The SM bus controller( System Management bus) will be in the AMD chipset drivers.

http://support.gatew...s...x6440&st=kw

You are downloading the drivers and double clicking the exe files to install them, right?

For Your Information,

SMBus is the System Management Bus defined by Intel in 1995. It is used in personal computers and servers for low-speed system management communications. An SMBus controller is integrated into most Intel® chipsets.

Let me know if these work.

SRX660

Puntosaurus

Puntosaurus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your input.

I have actually managed to get the audio working now, after have a play around. For those with similar problems, here is how I did it.

1. I downloaded the Conexant Audio Driver from the manufacturers website, but the install failed. I noted where it had tried to install (C:\Cabs)

2. Went to Device Manager > Right clicked on device I wanted the driver installed for > Takes you to the Hardware update Wizard.

3. Chose "Install from a list/specific location" > Next page I chose "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install" > this forces the install of the driver

4. Scrolled down to "Sound, Video, Game Controllers" > Chose "Conexant AC-Link Audio" > You are then invited to browse for the file in (1) above.

Now, the sound works fine once again & I'm very happy!

However, I still have one Yellow '?' remaining by PCI Modem. I shall try and fix that later by the same method, but if you have any ideas, please let me know.