Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC VERY SLOW

• Please log in to reply

hoton h

hoton h

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) from windows start up to internet explorer takes approx 20 mins + pc keeps locking up , also shutting down takes ages even the closing of windows box takes approx 10 seconds . took it to local computer shop who charged £30 to install 2 free programmes spybot & avg , (problem still exists) . have also zone alarm pro installed . PLEASE PLEASE HELP
BRIAN

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
never use a pc repair shop unless your \pc won't run at all or some component is dead -- what a rip-off! Turn off antivirus and try doing a 'defrag'.
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter.
When finished, turn antivirus back on.
If no improvement your PC may be infected with malware.
You should get hold of the free 'HijackThis' and post it's log ONLY to the "Malware Removal - HijackThis logs go here" forum.
First read the 'pinned' posts on that forum here: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to geeks to go. I will attempt to help you, as well as others.

The problem you have could be related to a number of issues. Such as malware/ virus/ devices (drivers) failing to load/ problem programs, to many programs loading etc.
We will have to pick away at it.
Lets start with devices. Go to start/ run/ type in devmgmt.msc and then ok.
Do you have any devices with yellow or red errors?
What programs do you use for a virus scanner?
What do you use for a malware scanner?
Are you getting any errors (on anything) when you start up?
Have you installed any new hardware/ software (other than what the shop put in)?

Please give us some system specs. Computer type (off the shelf/ home built), how much ram, How much HD space?

hoton h

hoton h

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:) i am a bit of a computer novice , would i be able to solve this problem by rebooting my pc using the recovery disc ?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We generally do not recommend doing a recovery at this time. A recovery will reformat and load fresh from day 1. It will most likely fix your problem.
We need to go at it a different way.

You haven't answered my questions.
Have you gone to the malware section either?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi hoton h...

Just out of curiosity, what is your IDE transfer mode set to?

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. In Device Manager, expand (click +) "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". Right click on the "Primary IDE channel" and choose "Properties"...click on the "Advanced Settings" tab.

You should see two devices listed, Device 0 and Device 1. What is shown in the "Transfer Mode" field and the "Current Transfer Mode" field for each device?

Repeat this for the Secondary IDE channel and let us know what these settings are set to on each IDE channel.

wannabe1