Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Shooting .NET Framework repair

• Please log in to reply

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I thought I was very organized and ready to start repair procedures for my .NET Framework, I had printed all the instructions and downloaded all the files I need, but I am stumped with the Windows Installer SDK (ZAP), and how to use it properly. Here are the instructions I am following:

a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open text box, type cmd, then click OK.
c. At the command prompt, locate the directory that contains the Msizap.exe utility, and then run the following commanmd: Msizap TP {CB2F7EDD-9D1F-43C1-90FC-4F52EAE172A1}
d. Restart your computer.

Currently Windows Installer SDK is located on my computer here:
c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Received Files\Windows Installer SDK (ZAP)\PSDK-FULL

I am inserting a screenshot of the box that comes up when I type cmd in the Open text box (hopefully this works, I've never needed to insert a pic in here before)
ScreenHunter_02_Oct._27_12.12.gif
What EXACTLY do I have to type for this to work correctly??
I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong catagory, I wasn't sure where this topic belonged?

Edited by CrankyCheryl, 27 October 2007 - 11:09 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
are you sure your following the right instructions?

This is what I got from microsoft:

Steps to repair the .NET Framework installation
1. Obtain the original installation source. For example, if you installed the .NET Framework from a CD-ROM or from a DVD, insert that disc. If you downloaded the .NET Framework , download the .NET Framework again. Make sure that you click save to disk. If you installed the .NET Framework from a network share, reconnect to that share.

2. Click Start, click Run, type the following command, and then click OK:
N:\dotnetframework\dotnetfx.exe /t:c:\temp /c:"msiexec.exe /i c:\temp\netfx.msi REINSTALL=ALL ReinstallMODE=vomus"
Note Replace N:\ in this command syntax with the original installation path.

Important If you do not have a C:\temp folder on your computer, create one before you run this command.

Why are you trying to do a .net framework repair? what versions of .net do you have installed?

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The instructions I posted are just one small step in the instructions I got from Microsoft to do the repair. I have v1.1, v2.0 (w\ security update KB928365) & v3.0.
This part I am trying to figure out is step 4 of manually removing all traces of v 1.1 before reinstalling it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824643 This is the full set of instructions I am using.
I can't even remember anymore what lead me to find out that the .NET Framework doesn't work (corrupt?...I know that if I click on "Change\Remove" in Add\Remove Programs and pick "Repair" I get an error message and it tells me that the patch isn't there??, but yet, it is still in my Add\Remove list?)
I just know that if it isn't working, I either want it fixed, or gone so if I have any problems with my pc again I don't have to worry about it being that causing it.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open text box, type cmd, and then click OK.
c: type in cd c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Received Files\Windows Installer SDK (ZAP)\PSDK-FULL
d: run the following command:
Msizap TP {CB2F7EDD-9D1F-43C1-90FC-4F52EAE172A1}
e: restart computer

Please note that in step c there is a command called cd. that stands for Change Directory. In order for the msizap command to be run, you have to be in the directory to run it.