Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screen recorder can't write .avi

• Please log in to reply

sssock

sssock

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi bespectacled ones! I have a problem which needs a mightier brain than my own. I've been trying to install a screen recorder to allow me to make simple instruction films for my parents. No epic productions, just basic stuff like "updating your Anti-virus","Running a full scan","De-fraging" that kind of thing. Well there seem to be quite a selection of suitable tools out there. So naturally I downloaded a few to try them out. They all seem pretty simple to use, but each one I try encounters the same problem. When the program tries to writing the file (.avi) I get an error message saying that it was unable to do so. At least three unrelated programs give a similar error message at exactly the same stage, which leads me to suspect that (being a fiddler by nature) I've turned of or restricted an authority somewhere within XP itself. Presumably in an attempt to secure my system, and prevent rogue software from creating files without permission, I've accidentally prevented even legitimate programs from so doing :) I know.. I'm an idiot. but please help 'tis driving me mad..

DOS. Windows XP Home SP2....(I am logged in as an administrator)

Properties > Shortcut>Advanced shows that the program is set to run under "this user" (not a restricted account)

Any pointers on how to troubleshoot this would be gratefully received.

The screen recorder programs in question are :-

Bulent's Screen recorder v4 and v1.5
Freez Screen Video Capture
Wisdom-soft auto screen recorder v2.0

Although, as the same error occurs with all of the above. I really don't think they are at fault.
Thanks in advance for any help

Paul

Advertisements