Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Screen turning red

• Please log in to reply

jane-f

jane-f

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi didn't know were to put this,

on my laptop every now and then the screen just go's red for no reason,
and the only way to get it off is to re-boot, it re-boot's up fine and is fine there after,
but its a bit annoying when your in the middle of doing something,
it doesn't happen a lot and can go for weeks before doing it,
anyone know why it would do this, and is there any way to stop it happening again
its a packard bell easynote.

jane

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi jane-f! When the screen goes red, is there an error message or anything? Are you able to pinpoint what you are doing at the time that is causing the problem?

Cheers :)

jane-f

jane-f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi

no nothing at all, it just go's blood red,
the last time it happened i was just posting on a forum (just like now),
i could understand it if i was playing games or something like that,
when it go's red i've tryed everything to get it off,
and the only way is to re-=boot, and theres still no error message when i do that.

jane

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
unfortunately that sounds like the screen is going bad. Although it's possible that it is something as simple as a bad harness ( what connects the screen to the rest of the laptop ). The only other thing I can think of is maybe the video card itself is going ( and that is probably built in so that would mean bad motherboard ) when it goes red what happens if you connect an external monitor? If it is also red then I'd say the video card is bad... if not then you are back to the screen or harness....

jane-f

jane-f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for that,
i haven't thought to try it on an external monitor when it happens :) , will deff try next time though,

the laptop is actually a reconditioned one, so possible it could be something going,
but even so i've only had it less than a year.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi jane-f, if the external monitor does not play up and go red, then that's definitely the problem. If the computer came with a warranty - even though it's refurbished, it should still have come with a warranty - then you could try to have the laptop screen replaced. Unless it came with a shorter warranty, of course!