Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

surf's up

• Please log in to reply

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
[attachment=16319:1498.jpg] :)

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
He didn't see that?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It kind of looks like a dolphin... And I have been surfing when some dolphins came along, awesome stuff...

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hahaha, he must be blind!!!

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

It kind of looks like a dolphin... And I have been surfing when some dolphins came along, awesome stuff...

If you look at the tailfin,the shape appears to be vertical.Where as the dolphin has a horizontal tailfin.That's no Flipping Flipper Troy! :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well that's arguable, it could be on it's side because he's turning, or it could be something else. It's all just a blur, you can't really tell :)

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
That would be one very large dolphin! You have to love a sport where you can be bit any moment.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 28 October 2007 - 03:49 AM.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Well... I'm not sure if that's a dolphin... They're usually are smaller...

Dolphins are cute, I swam with them (we have a kind of a dolphin reserve in the south where they're free to swim - they're not caged, most of the day they're out in the sea, they come back for food. They have a special opening in which they can go in and out. I'm going there this weekend probably :))

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I think it was made in photo shop ......much like this one :) :) :)

Posted Image

Seriously its not fake.....However it appears that it is a Dolphin ..... here is a link with another picture taken by the same potographer the same day showing it jumping out of the water.
http://snopes.com/ph...sharksurfer.asp

And here is a cool one I found looking for the other

http://snopes.com/ph.../sharkkayak.asp

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm not arguing that it definitely is a dolphin, I mean, it could be a shark...

But I decided to do some research :)

1) This picture shows that the fin on the back is similar shape;
2) This link says:

The bottlenose dolphin grows to be at most 12 feet (3.7 m) long, sometimes weighing more than 1,400 pounds (635 kg)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Oh well, that's not the kind of dolphins I'm used to see :) They're pretty small and cute :)

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Whatever it is,great research from your part Brian!Well done!!! :) :)

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Take a look at google do a search under images for pilot whale. Believe it is likely to be a pilot whale, very docile and they have tendency of grounding themselves. I remember back when I lived in Cape Cod very common to see them grounded every few years. See this picture

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 29 October 2007 - 01:08 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
dolphins have curved dorsal fins....shark dorsal fins are angular (right triangles usually) you can always tell by the dorsal fins

ALSO....as to why the surfer didn't see the thing (he may have)...when you're looking at the surface of water at the angle he would be looking at (i.e. lying down on your stomach looking forward at water level) you can rarely see much more than an inch or two under water...the surface refraction of the water usually keeps you from seeing too far down at that angle....also...one would imagine he would be more concerened with the wave than what's riding inside of it

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
[attachment=16350:WOLGAST_001.jpg]The real thing