Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with shift key

• Please log in to reply

PGH

PGH

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

On my laptop I have got a problem with the right shift key: if I hold it down and press another key, the first time I press the key shift does nothing but the second time I press it it does. For example, say I want to put in an exclamation mark I hold down shift and press '1' and I should get an exclamation mark but when I hold down shift and press '1' first I just get a '1' but if I press '1' again I then get an exclamation mark. It is like the effect of the shift key is delayed by one keystroke.

For example, if I press 'a' four times with right shift held down I get aAAA. This problem does not affect the left shift key. Is this something which I can fix (something to do with sticky keys/accessibility settings??) or is it likely to be a fault with the keyboard? Nothing appears to be physically wrong with the keyboard, it's just the action of shift is delayed by one click...

Many thanks :)

Edited by PGH, 27 October 2007 - 03:34 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi PGH!

This does sound interesting... I would be tempted to say that the physical key is faulty, but I'm not too sure as I've never had this problem (or heard of it) before.

One thing you could try to test it, would be to install a USB keyboard and see if the problem occurs still. If it doesn't, then it's the laptop key that's faulty. If it does recur, then there must be a setting somewhere that needs changing.

Hope this helps :)

PGH

PGH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll try with an external keyboard then I'll post back.