Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

a new processor

• Please log in to reply

ryang96

ryang96

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
ok so i now ahve the intel celeron 2.50ghz,2.49ghz processor for my compac with the ASUS P4G533, or echo as compac/hp calls it. i want to upgrade my processor to a new one but don't know what would be compatable with my mosterboard. could anyone help please? maby give me a link to a site with a price?

System BIOS Supplier ASUS/Award
Form Factor: uATX
Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Socket Type: mPGA478
Processor Family: P4 and Celeron (Willamette, Northwood)
Proc. Front Side Bus Freq.: 400 MHz
Chipset Name: 845GL
Chipset "North Bridge": 845GL
revision/stepping: A1
Chipset "South Bridge": ICH4
Revision/stepping : A1
Super I/O: ITE
Revision/stepping: IT8708F
Flash BIOS Device: 2 MB Flash EEPROM

Edited by ryang96, 27 October 2007 - 08:09 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi ryang96!

Unfortunately, you have a socket 478 processor, which is very old and not really worth spending any money IMHO on some upgrades unless you replace the motherboard (and perhaps RAM and graphics card and PSU) as well...

What's your total budget for upgrading your system?

P.S. If you are looking on sites like newegg.com, try finding a socket 478 processor. They may still be available, but my point is you wouldn't get a very good increase for the money you spend.

A quick search for your motherboard on the ASUS website reveals three possibilities - P4B533, P4S533, and P4T533.