Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scsi bios not installed

• Please log in to reply

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Hi.. please help...

I recently acquired a desktop computer... they told me that I only need to install an operating system then it's good to go... but when I tried installing windows xp... It says that scsi bios not installed and that windows setup cannot find a hardrive on the system... I checked the cables and all the connections and everythings looks fine...I don't know what the motherboard chipset is... only spec i can see is from the host adapter and scsi devices...

host adapter - Adaptec AHA 2940W/UW
SCSI HD - IBM 39130
Tape drive - Fujitsu GP5UPT301

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
drivers and Bios AHA 2940 Family

Drivers

http://www.adaptec.c...S/support/scsi/

Bios Updates and Other Downloadable Files

BIOS AHA-2940 BIOS, v1.16

http://www.adaptec.c...mp;dn=AHA-2940W

AHA-2940 BIOS, v1.16

Filename: 2940v116.exe
Date: 22 Aug 1997
Size: 58.0 KB
Language: English US
Description:AHA-2940 BIOS, v1.16.
The original production release of the AHA-2940/AHA-2940W was introduced in April 1994.
Host Adapter BIOS ver 1.0 BIOS v 1.1 BIOS v 1.16 AHA-2940 S6
AHA-2940W S6 n/a n/a CS=6E00 AHA-2940
AHA-2940W CS=7000 CS=8200 CS=6E00
PCI host adapters were revised in August 1995 to incorporate Autotermination. The first release was BIOS 1.20. These were superseded with the introduction of the AHA-2940UW.
Host Adapter BIOS ver 1.20 BIOS ver 1.21 BIOS ver 1.23 AHA-2940S76 CS=EC00 AHA-2940S76 CS=9A00 CS=2800 CS=D400 AHA-2940
w/Autoterm CS=1800 CS=CE00 CS=EC00
In March 1996, the internal ID of the board was changed. This required a change in the BIOS code. In order to process a request for a BIOS upgrade EPROM for the above assemblies, it is necessary to provide us with the checksum (CS) from the label on the installed EPROM chip. If requesting a BIOS upgrade, contact us via ASK Us and provide a mailing address

Installation Instruction: This file requires an EPROM programmer to program a new BIOS chip
Notes: The following file is Hex code files which require an EPROM programmer. If you do not have a EPROM programmer and require a BIOS upgrade, contact Tech Support via ASK Us.You will need to provide a mailing address and current BIOS version/checksum

Note:This is the BIOS Hex code (Intel Hex format) for the EPROM based standard AHA-2940 boards. Using this file, you must use an EPROM programmer to program a new BIOS chip. This BIOS will only work with standard AHA-2940 or AHA-2940W with a previous Bios Version of 1.1 and a checksum of "8200

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
thanks for the reply peter99...

read this page also but i couldn't really understand what i was reading... have questions if you don't mind..
shouldn't my adapter have a BIOA already installed? do you think the only solution to my problem is an upgrade? if so, which one do i need? AHA 2940W v 1.16 or AHA 2940UW v 2.20? don't have a clue my card says AHA 2940W/2940UW...

appreciate it :)

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Have you tried installing the card without the Tape drive - Fujitsu GP5UPT301 attached

TRY moving the card to a PCI slot away from the AGP slot or EISA slot if you have one

When the SCSI card is installed, the computer system fails to boot, however if the SCSI card is removed the system boots normally.

This is symptom is an indication of a basic resource conflict.

This could be a conflict in one of the following area's, a BIOS address conflict, or a system resource conflict, such as an IRQ conflict.

1. If the system locks up with no video, or memory errors, this could be a BIOS address conflict. Update the computers motherboard system BIOS to the most recent version.

2. If the system locks up with scrambled video, or the graphics are incorrect, check to see if a PCI video adapter is installed. If the system boots normally, check with the adapter vendor for BIOS update or known conflicts.

3. If the system locks up or freezes on driver load, check for an IRQ conflict. Remove all other adapters except for the hard drive adapter, SCSI card, and the video adapter. If the system boots normally, install the adapters one at a time until the boot fails. Determine the IRQ of the adapter and change to another available IRQ, or change the CMOS IRQ listing to make that specific IRQ not available to the PCI bus.

4. If there is an AGP video card in the system, move the SCSI card so that at least one PCI slot separates the video card and the PCI SCSI card

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Hi peter99.. thanks again for replying...

Have you tried installing the card without the Tape drive - Fujitsu GP5UPT301 attached

Yes I have... it not connected right now...

When the SCSI card is installed, the computer system fails to boot, however if the SCSI card is removed the system boots normally.

actually it boots normally even with the adapter connected... Only card right now are video card on agp and host adapter on pci with one pci slot separating them...

I don't think there's anything wrong with the video card or MOBO bios, although I receive a message before scsi initialize, something like BUS 0 IRQ 0... could it be an irq conflict? how do i go above setting IRQ for each device??

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
try

devices not being used are disabled so that the resources they are being allocated can be freed up for allocation to another device - this is accomplished through the motherboard CMOS / BIOS setup utility (Example: if you're not using the onboard COM / Serial or LPT port on your motherboard, you can usually disable this and free up the IRQ it's currently being assigned

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
ok... i will try this and get back to you...
Thanks peter99..

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
hey peter99...
I tried what you suggested and it didn't work... restrore the scsi bios to its original settings.

here's the exact message

bus 00 device 00 function 00 irq 00

host adapter configuration error
scsi bios not installed!

which is weird cause the host adapter card has bios v1.32... any more input?

appreciate it...

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
I updated the bios.. it is now version 2.20... still the message "scsi bios not installed" appears on reboot... and with bus 00 device 00 function 07 irq 00 appears along with the original bus 00 device 00 function 00 irq 00...

any input is much appreciated...

thanks...

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Hi...

so i tried a different approach... i removed the adapter and installed an old hard disk, reformatted and installed xp... It installed without a problem but the boot message remained and there seems to be something wrong with my usb.. under device manager, "it cannot start the devide (code 10)".. if i install the adapter with xp the device manager message is the same? could this be a board problem or irq conflict? I also noticed that inder scsi utility the irq channel is 95, is that ok?

Advertisements

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Hi..
If somebody could help.... Any input is welcome...
thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

When you first power the system on, wait for the POST test to complete (ie memory check & IDE drive detection). As soon as that screen vanishes, hold down the CTRL key and press the A key a few times. This should get you into the scsi bios setup screen.

In the bios setup, you will need to enable the scsi bios (there will be a setting in there somewhere for this). Make sure that the scsi hard drive is on ID 0.

After that, if you disconnect the IDE hard disk & boot from the Windows CD again, you should be able to install Windows on the SCSI drive ok. Let me know how you get on.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Hi Samm... thanks for replying...

tried your suggestion... still receiving an error mesage on reboot...
now
bus 00 frequency 00 device 0E irq 00 
Host adapter configuration error
Scis bios not installed

host adapter id is 7, scsi hd id 0

in windows xp...
error in device manager

host adapter unable to start device code 10.
USB controller unable to start device code 10.

thanks again

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
I also tried free up resources like peter99 suggested... I disabled the serail port (1and 2) and parallel port along with usb controller, since its not working in windows even if enabled...

any suggestions?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, in the scsi setup, which IRQ is currently assigned? And which PCI slot do you have the scsi card in? (Count the slot immediately below the agp as #1)

Edited by Samm, 03 November 2007 - 11:36 AM.