Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scsi bios not installed

• Please log in to reply

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
the irq is 95 and the pci slot is 2.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
95? That is the IRQ reported by the SCSI setup, not windows, isn't it?

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
yeah.. which i think is weird since it should be 0-15 right?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

yeah.. which i think is weird since it should be 0-15 right?

Oh yes. In fact it's normally either 9,10 or 11 although other IRQs are permissible depending on what's available, but it should always be below 16!
Have you tried moving the card to a different slot? I'd suggest the lowest slot (i.e further away from the agp) just to test it with.

Also, do you have a sata controller or IDE raid controller on the motherboard? If so, disable it.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
yeah i tried that also.. still the same... do you think it is the mother board? no sata and raid controller, this is an old computer, was only given to me by a friend...

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts

Also, do you have a sata controller or IDE raid controller on the motherboard? If so, disable it.

wait... how would i know if the board has one? BIOS right?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You check the motherboard bios for any mention of sata or ide raid, or you can check in the motherboard manual if you have one.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
none... don't have a manual for the board... i figured if my board has a sata or raid support it should show.. didn't find any mention of sata or raid in the mobo setup... tried as you suggested, moved the host adapter around still the same channel... I will try to plug it to a different mobo to determine wheter the card is at fault or not... will inform you on the outcome...

thanks samm... :)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Funnily enough, my next suggestion was going to be 'can you test the card on another system...'! So good thinking batman.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Hi Samm

I tried it on another board (friend). It was able to detect the card and recognize the scsi hd... In device manager there are no conflicts present, sata raid controller working properly. Now, I having not dealt with scsi before am confused.

1. Shouldn't I be seeing another clickable drive on "my computer"?

2. Also, i tried plugging a sound card and a lan card on "my board" and it was able to detect them and without conflicts. Could this be a compatibility issue or just a setting problem?

thanks Samm for your time...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
1) If the scsi card appears to be working ok on your friends machine but the scsi drive is not appearing in my computer, first make sure that the drive is being detected in the scsi bios (scsi setup). If it is, then in Windows, go to Start -> Run and type diskmgmt.msc (click ok). See if the drive appears in disk management. If it does, then check that the drive is partitioned, has a drive letter assigned and is set as a basic, not a dynamic, drive.

2) Re. sound card/NIC card etc, the problem with scsi cards (especially older ones) is that they are far more fussy about IRQs. A network card & even most sound cards will happily share IRQs with other devices. Scsi adapters tend to prefer a unique IRQ assignment. That said, I've never come across one where the scsi bios itself is reporting IRQ 95.

Its possible it could be a compatibility issue I guess. Can you tell me what motherboard (make & model) you have please?

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
hi...

Will try checking diskmgmt.msc when i visit my friend this weekend... about the board.... it's ACER M11EJ...

thanks again samm...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'm assuming that as you have an Acer motherboard, you have a branded system (e.g Acer, Fujitsu or similar). As Acer don't seem to want to give any support or info about their motherboards, you'll have to tell me what the system is instead please!

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
hi samm...

I tried checking it under diskmanagment no drive found there. Only found the system hdd and cdrom. What next?

About the make or brand, sorry, i really don't know. I just found out the name of the board thru everesthome. This computer was given to me by a friend, no documentations and disc given. All i know is that its 5 or 6 years old and used to be a server.

koko

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

hi samm...

I tried checking it under diskmanagment no drive found there. Only found the system hdd and cdrom. What next?

Is this on your friends machine still? Is the drive detected in the SCSI bios (setup utility)?