Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stand Alone DVD recorded VCR plays sound only

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
This may or not be a computer problem. I had a VCR recorded as a DVD-RW on a stand alone product(Magnavox, Model CMWR20wv6). I tried to play it on my Television through a Daytek DVD player, but it plays only the sound with no video. I subsequently inserted in my DVD disk drive on Windows XP and it plays the video on Windows Media Player 10. The properies indicate it as being a RM file, which I assume is a Ram file. My question is this, can I used Windows XP to change the outgoing format from RM to another format which most standardized DVD players will accept.

By the way on Windows Media Player 10, it only visualizes in black and white. I do have Nero Ultra if that's any help to you at all.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Several ssues here as to why it won't or may not play;

1. It's been recorded in RealMedia format (which is playable only on a computer using RealPlayer)

2. Even when recorded properly in DVD-Video format, many standalone DVD Players cannot read DVD-RW discs. Indeed some older DVD players cannot read DVD-R discs either.

3. In your case, the primary reason for failure to play is that it's been recorded in RM format. No DVD player that I know of can read this format (certainly not the video content anyway).

I have found this application and tutorial which may do what you require, provided your PC meets the minimum requirements for such a process, since video conversion requires a fair amount of PC power:

http://club.cdfreaks...dvd-vob-179395/

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thank you for the info, I think its about time these stand alone DVD from VHS recorders should be standardized though.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
As an update I did get these dvd's to play on Media Player Classic 321