Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics is Stuffed

• Please log in to reply

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello Hammm,

Try going back to driver version 94.24.

Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 01 November 2007 - 12:17 AM.

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
just went back to 94.24 as you suggested. no luck i'm afraid. i managed to get the commander room and the submarine interior looking spotless, with not a single thing wrong. i think i got prematurely excited. as i went onto the bridge, the polygons appeared so thick i could barely make out my watch officer standing 2 feet away from me... scenario 1

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hammm,

I think because you did have some improvement for a bit that driver may well be issue, I would continue trying several versions of that driver around the last one used. Test on several different games which had the polygon problem. I would also be sure that these games dont have game updates. It may take trying out several different driver versions.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
yeah, on second thoughts, that might be. now, no matter what settings i put it to, the inside looks spanking good. but the outsides still a little stuffed. the patch for Silent Hunter 3 is 1.4b, which is the latest. as for Brother's In Arms, i think it's still the factory patch. i might update it today. interestingly, Act of War:High Treason (a RTS) which requires quite good graphics engines, runs perfectly, as does Fifa 2003, Total Overdose, Vietcong and GTA: Vice City.

perhaps it only stuffs up on games which use a different rendering engine? like OpenGL instead of something else?

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
if i went back to, say 93.71 with the 7600GS GPU, would the drivers stuff up?

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
just tried out Brothers in Arms with the 94.64 drivers. tuned the drivers towards High Quality( all settings on high), with the resolution at 1280x1024. working great. really confused now.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello Hammm,

Keep us posted how it works out for you. Games can be very fussy with drivers. Nvidia drivers in my opionion are a lot more stable than Ati of late. Finding the right driver can take some experimenting, once I find one I stick with it and then only try out new ones periodically and revert back to the older one if the new one causes problems. My ati 1950 pro only likes driver version 7.7 anything newer and I have problems with desktop icons, so for now I stay with Catalyst 7.7 it runs very well on these and all of my games run flawless. The game updates themselves are also very important for stability. You can usually find a text file with the drive update to explain fixes in the release, furthermore you can find a text file with a game update which explains the reasons for the update. If they work stay with them for now. Good Luck!

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 03 November 2007 - 04:52 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I have been watching this thread for a while. It could be the drivers but I am thinking it might be a bit more serious. Do you know of another computer you can put your graphics card in to test it? Is it still under warrenty?

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
not another computer i don't think so. my other is an AGP, Athlon XP type. i might be able to persuade one of my friends to try it out, but i'm not very sure atm. i only just remembered, when using XP home in january, it seemed fine to me. then i changed the OS to XP Pro SP2, got rid of the XP Home. i think the trouble started a little bit after that.

serious as in how? like hardware failure or something? i'm not sure about the warranty, i'll check it. if all goes wrong, i might buy a new graphics card, cos i think there are 8600GTs for around NZD250 atm. but i want to fix this if possible, save me from wasting money.

thanks for all the help so far. any suggestions of the next drivers to try out?

on jtscustomcomputers, i did find that Radeon drivers, under 7.7 were fairly stable. i didn't have any trouble with my 9550. it was a bit underpowered for playing stuff like Half-Life 2, but still ok.

Edited by Hammm, 03 November 2007 - 09:23 PM.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
if i'm installing a new driver, do i have to uninstall the older version first? or can i just install straight over the top?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Always uninstall completly. After you install then you will want to reboot. After the reboot then it is safe to install the new drivers.

Also a note:

Turn off all real time protection applications (anti-virus) and disconnect all USB devices during installation.

Once my drivers failed to install many times until I unplugged my X Box 360 controller from the USB port. This is odd though because it something that I have yet to read about...

Edited by Titan8990, 07 November 2007 - 03:31 AM.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
oohhh, that last part was interesting. just tried the latest, 169.04 drivers. still no luck with Silent Hunter 3. i tried turning settings on high. outside environment is perfect. inside is a hash of polygons. turn it all down, inside is perfect, outside is a hash of polygons, but less dense.

Brother's in Arms is working fine. not even a spot of trouble from that.

thanks for the tips on how to install the drivers. do you think i should reinstall/update my Motherboard chipset drivers? i'll try a 97. something or 98/99. something tomorrow.

just out of curiosity, Titan8990, have you ever seen any graphics stuff up like the ones i posted? i've seen then once, and that was when me and my friend were scripting some new vehicles for Battlefield Vietnam, and i think we stuffed up the script, probably aligned something wrong. and heaps of polygons, very similar to the ones projecting from the flack and deck cannon, then appeared from the tank. but once we deleted that tank, everything went back to normal.

which led me to think that these irregularities are caused by something being scripted wrong by the drivers, or processed wrong by the GPU. at least, that's what i guessed.

Edited by Hammm, 07 November 2007 - 03:52 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You could update your chipset drivers but I doubt that it will make a difference with the issues that you are having. Keep your old drivers handy in case you run into any issues.

I still suggest finding someone else with a computer that you could drop your card in.

The alternative would be to send your video card in to the manufacturer (if it is under warrenty), tell them it is broken and see if they find a problem with it.

Edited by Titan8990, 07 November 2007 - 03:46 AM.

unizo

unizo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This is strange, I've seen problems like this before but they're normally caused by overheating hardware, it's never software related. :)

Have you tried doing a reinstall of the game?

Edited by unizo, 07 November 2007 - 08:19 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I believe he is having this issue with all his games...