Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics is Stuffed

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

I believe he is having this issue with all his games...

actually, i only seem to have trouble with Silent Hunter 3, and Counter-Strike:Condition Zero. for games such as Fifa 2003, Total Overdose, , and Vietcong, there's basically no trouble what so ever. i used to have trouble with Brothers in Arms. that too, after uninstalling, and installing drivers, seems to have disappeared. but Act of War:High Treason, which i didn't have trouble with, now does. i also had some trouble with the Battle Field series

of course, there maybe other games that would have similar effects, but i don't have them all. those games above are the ones i have, and tried out.

i'll monitor the heat temperatures when i next play Silent Hunter 3 and report that.

Advertisements

phoenix123

phoenix123

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
hey im having a problem with css with my nvidia geforce go 7600 and one of the display drivers stops responding... stops the game and then returns as normal...(very annoying as it is online) and i get a constent flickering and also alot of lines coming out of guns sometimes?

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
sounds a bit like my problem (minus the stopping game. although sometimes Condition Zero crashes for no reason. check my screen shots i uploaded earlier and see if those are the "lines" you're talking about

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
update to my graphics problem. currently using nVidia 169.04. installed Half-Life 2. turned the settings on maximum using the nVidia control panel. here's where it gets interesting. i load the game. the menu contains a background, rendered in real-time, using the actual game engine itself-i.e. it is a moving background, like what you'd see in the game during play. as soon as it loads, all those grey lines and polygons come out of objects, like a barn house for example. i go to the options, and change both the anisotropic filtering or anti aliasing settings, to a different one from what is currently in the set up. the result: graphics is perfectly fine, everything is perfectly rendered.

i exit the game, and come back into it. the same polygons are appearing again. it doesn't matter what setting i have it on. it still starts the game with those polygons. but if i change the graphics settings to any other level, the game works fine.

what's going on?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I am a firm believer that you should only use the in game options to control graphic settings. I've seen issue where either the nvidia control panel either fights with the ingame settings or doesn't correctly apply the settings. I also do not use AA due to the extreme performance penalty it has. Even with the latest hw it causes issues.

Hamm, this is just my personal opinion. but I would format your system. Reload the Operating system. install any service packs and patches from Microsoft. Update all of your drivers and then install your games. I bet at that time most of your issues will go away.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
thanks starjax. i've considered doing so. i will do this, but most likely in a few weeks time. currently, i'm sitting the national exams, so i haven't really had much time to go on the computer at all.

the interesting thing though, is if i allow the game to apply its settings, Act of War:High Treason (an RTS) has problems, with almost flat polygons, usually grey, and some random lines coming from objects. if that object, say, a barracks, is destoryed. the lines and polygons disappear. if i use the nVidia control panel and set everything on high. i can play perfectly.

what's with that?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This is an interesting thread, just thought I'd jump in here and say that I have seen this problem before, it was on a system where the Graphics Card was not getting enough power. (The PSU was not good enough). Luckily, it was borderline, and didn't do any damage to the components. An upgrade to a new (better) power supply fixed his problem. I'm not exactly sure if this is your problem, of course, just wanted to throw it out there for you. I did see that this was mentioned already, but I personally would not completely rule it out as yet...

First things first, though, I would agree with starjax - try a full format first.